Shout to the World | Teen Ink

Shout to the World

In every storm there is a rainbow at the end such as the tale of Stephen of Green Leaf. In Green Leaf lives an orphan, Stephen. He has two pets, a dog and a horse, who are his only family. The dog is named Snowball, and the horse is named Frost. The town of Green Leaf is known for its peace and happiness among its citizens including travelers passing through Stephen lives in an old tree with his pets on the edge of town.

Stephen is sitting in front of his tree. His stomach starts to growl and he decides to go fishing. He gets up to leave when Snowball begins to bark in warning. Stephen looks at his dog in surprise when he hears people screaming. He looks in the direction of the screaming and realizes it’s coming from the same direction of the town. He quickly jumps on his horse and rides towards the town.

As he nears the town, he sees smoke. He rides into town and is overwhelmed by the sight of bandits raiding Green Leaf. Stephen rides into the center and spots a tall, muscled bandit. The tall and muscled bandit is the bandits’ leader, Dune Red-eye.

Bandits knock down doors and storm houses. People flee in terror. Treasured belongings are carried off by greedy thieves. Citizens’ horses are snatched up and dragged away. Fields and bridges are burned. Everywhere Stephen looks, citizens are losing pieces of their lives to the raiding bandits.

Stephen looks over his back as the smoke rises higher in the sky. It’s only morning and the day should be beginning in Green Leaf. Citizens should be happily going to work wishing their family well as they left. Children would be playing in the street and their mothers would be tending to house chores. Life would be normal if only the bandits had not come.

Snowball rushes in and tries to bite Dune Red-eye’s ankle. Dune Red-eye swiftly kills the dog with his pistol in one shot. Stephen charges in with his bow and misses his shot. Dune Red-eye fires his pistol missing Stephen, but hits Frost, Stephen’s pet horse.

Stephen is knocked to the ground and has lost all his family. In a state of great grief he fires not one but two arrows at Dune Red-eye. The arrows find their target and the bandit leader falls. The bandit flee in terror from the town. The Guard Captain of Green Leaf walks over the orphan, Stephen.

“Son, you have saved your town. I remember you as the orphan living on the edge of town. You’ve more than earned your stay as my apprentice and the future guard captain of Green Leaf. Its time you were given a real family and home, orphan,” greeted the Guard Captain with a warm smile.

Stephen finally lives the life he was longing for after he thought he would have no life at all. There is a rainbow just waiting after every great storm.

Inspired by the Fable gaming series.