How to Drive a Race Car | Teen Ink

How to Drive a Race Car

By RandyToney41 BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana
RandyToney41 BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana

Driving can be hard because some people just get scared or nervous. Driving is a new experience for many people. The type of driving that we do is called stock car racing and its very different from driving on the street.

First, the age that can race out there is 12 and older. The only reason why we started to race is, when me and my family went to the race track every weekend we started to fall in love with it. The celebrate 4th of July every year. Their fireworks are awesome out there. The race track has different types of races. The class that we race in is called teen 4 because the ages is 12 and up to race. When we get there you have to pay a fee that cost $25 to get in and then we drive in the pit and unload my car. When we get there we are getting suited up for the race that is coming up. So all of us put our helmets on and gloves then we get in and strap up in my racing belts. Then we all flip the switches up then press the button to start it. The car that we drive is a 5 speed stick. The car is very fast and it drives smooth on the dirt.

Next, we have to line up by the numbers that we pull then we start to go on the track after the other race is done. We start to wave at the fans and ref up our engines at them. When we see the light go green we take off very fast and try to get first place but there are some times where they get in bad wrecks and they put out a yellow flag or a red flag and that means everybody stop. The yellow flag means to slow down and line up. Then the tow trucks come and pick us up and take us back where we parked the trailer at. When they drop me off at my trailer we rush to get it fix so we can go out for the next race. Also they have a half time where the racers have time to fix their car or go and get something to eat and drink. The race track plays music and the fans love it their all having a good time. After the half time is over we all go back to our cars and get ready to go racing.

Then, when we are getting all ready to go racing for the feature race and someone flip in front of the grand stands and everybody is screaming. We all get out of our cars and make sure that he’s okay. After the tow trucks get him they go back racing. Now it’s our turn to go racing us are all waiting for the green flag to come so we can take off again? They are starting at the pole and that means that they put me in front of the other cars. We take off and they can hear the other cars coming and we just keep going. Someone spun out so we had to line back up. They drop the green flag again and there are only 5 laps to go and we keep pushing our cars to win. My family is yelling and screaming my name and they are proud of me. So when you win you get to take a picture in front of the sign of the place.

Last, after that day is over we got back home and rested because we was tired and beat. Also on the way home we pulled my car back into the garage where we fix it for the next weakened. When the racing season was over me and the other drivers got a trophy and a plack with our names on it and pitcher. So they hope one day you will get to do what we do or you can just come out and watch me race with the other people. If you do try it we hope you will have fun just like we all did.

the only reason why I wanted to write about this is that I race every Saturday with my family and friends.