The wish | Teen Ink

The wish

By tinyteenie2 GOLD, Alliance, Ohio
tinyteenie2 GOLD, Alliance, Ohio

A few days ago I had a horrible day. First, my front door was completely smashed by burglars trying to get some cash that was hidden in my house, but that was all they took. I called the police (once I checked the whole house to make sure nothing else was stolen) and when the police arrived, one of the officers asked me if anything had been stolen. I told him, “Some cash that I had hidden in my house, but that’s all.” He nodded, then said, “We will find them,” as I murmured to myself, “ Yeah, right.” After the officers left, I began to calculate how much it would cost to get a new door, and once I finished a sigh escaped my lips as I realized that the burglars took all of my money except for two pennies.
I had been hiding money in my house so I wouldn’t spend it on useless things; I had saved up to enough to pay for all my household bills. I exited my house to go for a walk and walked far into the woods until I stumbled upon a wishing well ( at least that is what the etched writing on the well said). I did not believe in wishes, but decided that my day could not get any worse, so I thought up a wish and threw a penny in. As I walked back home, I thought of my wish, which was everything in stores would cost only one cent. I glanced around at all the store signs I saw and noticed that everything sold in the stores was on sale for only a penny!
I had one penny left in my pocket and decided to go buy a new door, so I walked to the home department store and looked at their doors. When I saw the metal door that was rust-proof, I decided to buy it. Happy with my choice, I walked home and watched the workers install my new door as I sat down inside my house with my new key. Silently chuckling to myself I thought, “Let’s see if they can break this one.” I decided to tell a close friend where the wishing well was, and she wished that I would get all my money back...and I did.
So now I enjoy shopping for what I need, since it all costs one penny. Many of the other citizens had no idea what to do with their dollar bills, so they decided to move and look elsewhere for somewhere to shop. They had no intention of breaking their dollars into pennies. I took two dollars, broke them down into pennies, and bought all the things I enjoy for my supper, which included pizza pockets, two cases of pop, and plates enough to last me at least a few days until I grew tired of them. Once I get sick of the food I have, then I will break down two more dollars, and enjoy a different meal.