A Final Breath | Teen Ink

A Final Breath

By Sophiadlt1 PLATINUM, Barcelona, Other
Sophiadlt1 PLATINUM, Barcelona, Other

"You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play."
— Jay Asher (Thirteen Reasons Why)

The air left the room and I began to panic. The Gasps became shorter and faster. I didn’t cry this time there was nothing to cry about because I knew this time was the last time I would feel this way.

I knew the pain that I felt now, as my lungs were wheezing in pain, would soon fade. It was worth the searing I felt inside to know that it would all be over soon enough. I closed my eyes waiting to go at any time.

I knew there was nothing they could have done; they had ran out of time. I could still see the clocks the blurred line burned through my corneas. The red fragments of the lines were engraved in my eyelids every time I shut my eyes.

I was calm, there was no struggle. What would be the point of a struggle? There was no way I could break free. My steady breath created a foggy film on the plastic. In these moments I didn’t see my life flash before my eyes, instead I thought of my future –or rather my lack of.

I wondered what they would do with me, I wondered about their great plan to get away with murder. I wondered more about whether anyone would find me. My parents needed to know what happened. Would they be mad if they knew I didn’t fight back, that I didn’t even try?

I had tried to kill myself once before, or maybe I didn’t try at all, maybe I just wanted to know what it would feel like to fade into oblivion. Maybe nothing was just what I needed. I wasn’t suicidal I just wasn’t scared of dying.

Just like how now I wasn’t afraid of what was happening, I just didn’t know it would hurt so much. I closed my eyes and took my final breath, finally that was it, I had faded.

The main character in this piece has been kid knapped and is being asphyxiated to death with a plastic bag when her family can't pay the ransom in time.