Solanum, action scene | Teen Ink

Solanum, action scene

January 18, 2014
By Tactical_Writer_65 BRONZE, Mona, Utah
Tactical_Writer_65 BRONZE, Mona, Utah
1 article 0 photos 6 comments

I was nervous as I looked around. It was quiet. I didn't like being here. To confined. I had the group in an arrow head formation, and Will was taking rear guard. I knew we were in a totally defensible formation but still. Something bugged me. I didn't like being in the town.

"Alright" I said, "let's move fast and effectively. We go into the market fast and quiet, grab what we need, and leave. I don't want to be here when Zeke comes for us".

The moved to a jog, but I still thought we made too much noise. We came up to the door of the store. An old, rusted down Walmart. The inside was trashed, the windows boarded. The w on the sign hung by a bolt. I creaked the slide door open slowly, quietly. I looked inside, aiming my hunting rifle randomly, making sure no zombies were at the entrance. My heart pounded. I don't want to be here. I really don't want to be here. I walked forward to the check out line. I could here a moan.

" crap"

Then I saw it, a rotting, pale figure, loping towards us. It was moving fast for a Z. Mae spun, firing point blank at the creature head with her gun. The head exploded, diseased, black brains splatter, the body pitching forward.

"Alright" I said loudly, " Will and Jack, guard the door. Ben, Alex, and Mae, go grab some food. Tass and Autumn, will you go get some meds. Tris, you come with me to get some ammo. We meet back here in ten minutes, then we leave".

Everyone hurried off to grab the supplies. I ran to the back of the store, letting the signs guide me and tris to the hunting section. When we got there, we rummaged through the items. Tris was stuffing ammunition boxes in here pockets. I ripped open a package, refilled my magazine and gave the rest to her. She did the same. I started to fill my own pockets and a small part of my bag. I see Tris go around the corner. Then she screamed. I bolted around the aisle, a bullet already in the chamber. A zombie was on top of her. She had gun held up, trying to fend it off. I fired and it slumped. She scrambled from under it but more zombies were coming from the main aisle. I fired again and again.she was behind me, but her gun was jammed she was screaming. A ghoul ran for her, got to her before she could defend herself. She screamed as it's sharp, broken teeth tore a gash in her neck. I dropped the gun and drew my katana. I stabbed backhanded into the monsters back and lifted. It squirmed on the blade. Tris pulled a pistol and shot. I wedged the blade out and grabbed the rifle, holding it in my right hand, katana on the left.

Tris just sat there, the gun to her head. I didn't want to watch. I turned as the trigger was pulled. The whole store erupted with moans. As I ran down the aisles, I could see crawlers, full bodied Zeke and corpses, already eaten out, unable to reanimate. One zombie, I could see, was eating out a body. It turned and saw me. Then it started to lope forward very fast, a terrible screeching noise emitting from it's messed up vocal cords. I raised the rifle one handed, aimed, and fired. The z lunged forward and fell, dead for the second time. I ran to the front of the door, sheathing the katana.

"Is everyone here" I asked.

Will and Alex were firing out into the streets. I was wondering, where is Jack. Then I remember. The corpse. The other came up to me.
"Where's Tris" Tass asked.

"Zeke got her" I said grimly

Mae took charge then. "Arrowhead formation, out the door, I'll take rear guard. Let's get out of this mud hole".

We went at a jog, crouched down, scanning. Everyone was in a killing mode know. I could tell. I could hear some of the others in the back taking shots,our hunting rifles wreaking havoc on Zeke. I could see a group of 'em ahead of us. I loaded and fired, worked the bolt action, and fired again. Ben and Autumn turned and fired too, taking out the group. I could here Mae yelling, how they were swarming, there were too many. I was freaked out. "Circle up" I yelled over the roar of our guns.

"I got a plan" I said. They looked at me. "I'm gonna let Zeke go on after me, I'll run, be a bait. You guys head for the cabin we saw a couple hours ago. I'll meet you there". They all started protesting, firing out at the zombies. Then Ben said," I'll go with you".

"We'll go now" Mae was yelling," Tass and I just opened a hole through Zeke. Run!"
And we ran.


The author's comments:
This is part if a book I'm writing, called Solanum. It's about a kid, named Aiton, and his friends, who is on a trek, trying to find his family. In this part, they are raiding an abandoned Wal-mart, and it ends in disaster. This book is a zombie apocolypse story.