Play Time | Teen Ink

Play Time

By Rachel Wheeler GOLD, Lewisville, Texas
Rachel Wheeler GOLD, Lewisville, Texas

My short brown straight hair shakes as I swing my wooden sword in the air. Turning and spinning in circles, making myself dizzy. I fall on to my knees and look up at abigalle, my younger sister, who is in crawl mode on her way into the hallway.
"Corey, come on. The dragon is this way." She says looking back at me with her deep green eyes. I lift myself to my feet and shuffle my way over to her laying my hand on her shoulder. I nod at her and she takes off down the hall, running her hand against the purple textured wall. She stopped suddenly and turned towards me waving me on. I lift my sword and stumble over to her. I grab the hand mirror out from under my brown belt and slide my back down the wall stopping when my butt hits the carpit. My hand slides around the corner wall and the reflection of a tan couch comes in to my view. I turn my wrist to the kitchen door, nothing. I give abigalle the good to go and she slips around the corner ducking under the couch. I follow her lead and hide under the arm rest of the grand chair. I look over at abigalle, her long tight red curls bounce beside her pale fair skin. Her round face slowly turns toward me, smiling as big as a six year old girl could.
We bolt up and chase each other into the kitchen, laughing we forget our game and I catch the side of the fridge out of the corner of my eye. I yank open the door as the. Chill of the conditioned box hits me in the face. I pull out the drwar with our fruit in it and reach my long arm in. A red apple apears in my hand and my eyes light up. Abigalle nudges on my brown belt and looks up with her sad green eyes, begging for some food. I grab one of her yogurts and we climb into the tall chairs that are plastered against the dark oak table. I lay my sword on the table long ways and take a big chunk out of my snack. Abigalle shovels her turquoise tipped spoon, full of yogurt, in the direction of her mouth, getting it everywhere except her mouth. We laugh at the mess we make and I almost tip out of my seat. The core of my apple falls to the grown and I find my self sideways in my chair. I push myself off the seat, chucking as I make my way to the trash to throw away my apple core.
I hear feet moving in the room next to us and I glance over at abigalle. She is back in game mode, princess warrior ready to slay the dragon. I race over to the table and grab my sword. We hunch over near the door ready to attack.
"One." I whispered.
"Two." She mimicked me.
Three. We swung open the door and jumped out. I made a chainsaw noise with my mouth and she screamed as we landed in our parents arms.