The Hunters Tale | Teen Ink

The Hunters Tale

October 30, 2013
By M.G.Causly SILVER, Compton, California
M.G.Causly SILVER, Compton, California
9 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape.


Prologue
“It is my job to kill the serpent. I am not a knight, more like a bounty hunter and this is not your usual dragon captured princess tale, no this is a whole new adventure.”

“The king wanted me to kill the serpent because it had taken all of the kingdoms jewels, and the king’s daughter. The king wanted his jewels back; he could care less about his daughter. It wasn’t even my job to rescue her. The king wasn’t even sending one of his knights to save her. She was the youngest daughter of the king and I assume that the king didn’t really care about her welfare because he already has seven other daughters to take care of and he probably thought that if he lost one daughter, it wouldn’t make a difference. If I was the king I would want my jewels back too, I don’t blame the king for not caring about his daughter. Jewels are just more precious than pesky daughters.”


The horse’s hooves fell silently on the dry dust packed road. The sun was high above the horizon and the hunter’s brow dripped with perspiration. As he entered the town of Billage (the last places were the serpent had been seen) the townspeople crowed around his auburn horse talking excitedly.

“By the shore of cape Mura.”

“Big iridescent.”

“Purplish serpent.”

That was all the hunter needed to hear, he kicked his horse on its flanks and rode toward the shore.
Meanwhile near the town of Billage on the shore of cape Mura sits the thieving serpent.

“I know he’s coming to kill me, it’s so unfair,” the serpent thought to himself. “I didn’t do anything wrong! The jewels were so shiny, I just had to take them and the girl, well I was lonely and I needed some company. Eating her was my very last resort.”

“My jeweled ears can hear the horse’s hooves plotting across the sand. I have to do something,” said the serpent.

The serpent lets out a frightening roar which causes the horse to become scared and flip off the hunter.

“I will give thee bloody teeth,” murmurs the hunter, as the horse rides off back toward the town leaving him in the dust.

He slowly stood up wincing as he put weight on his left leg.

“Scurvy!” he yells.

His leg was in no shape to be fighting a monster, but he has to press on. As he slowly limps toward the beach, he pulls out his bow and steadies his hand to draw an arrow. He steps toward the shore, and sees it, its bejeweled back toward him in the clear blue water. He walks silently not wanting to draw the serpent’s attention. The toe of his boot bumps up against something hard and he almost cries out. He crouches down and spots blue topazes scattered among the weeds on the ocean floor. This is what he bumped into, the king’s treasure. He looks out into the horizon and he sees the iridescent purple serpent sitting on mounds of green and red coral guarding its treasure.

?
“The hunter is in the water,” the serpent muttered to himself.

“His arrow is notched and is aimed at my head.”

The serpent turns around and lets his aqua eyes rest on the hunter; I saw that the serpent doesn’t want to hurt him.

As the serpent turns around, the hunter catches a glimpse into the eyes of the serpent, and sees a soul filled with pain. The hunter almost lets his bow fall.

?“What am I doing? I have a job to fulfill. I have to slay it,” and he let his arrow fly.

? It merely bounces off the serpent’s snout, not even a scratch! The serpent seems to debate whether to attack but decides not to. The hunter notches a second arrow and aims it, this time at the serpent’s eye, it finds its target. The serpent lets out a scream and with blood gushing from its wound, lunges at the petrified hunter.

? “I thought he was going to spare me, thought the serpent in distain. I was wrong, wrong about this man. All he wants is my head and clinking gold coins.
I will not allow him to slay me. I will fight for my right to live.”

Blood drips from the serpent’s wound to his snout like a tear. He lunges at the hunter, hating his very existence.

? The serpent’s teeth get closer and closer. The hunter dives into the blue water. The serpent’s teeth just barley missing him. He draws but another arrow and aims it at the serpents other glinting eye. Yet again his arrow finds its target. The purple serpent lets an agonizing howl escape its lips and then dives into the crystal water. The hunter sees its body snake down into the depths of the ocean and squeeze its self into a crevice in the ocean floor.

?“My eyes are pierced with those wretched arrows of his, they bleed, my life’s source escaping from my magnificent body”

?“I run not because I am afraid, no I run because the water is my source of healing. My eyes will soon be restored and then, oh yes then he will die,” utters the serpent to himself.

The serpents clouded eyes become clear again. I could tell that he was now not playing games. The serpent resurfaces to find the hunter peering into the water, trying to find him. The serpent strikes, the hunter’s blood dripping from its jaws. The hunter tries to run to the shore but that evil serpent cuts him off and strikes again and again. The hunter’s blood drips from his open wombs and tints the water brown. The hunter’s heart is failing as the blood drains from his body. He stops fighting and accepts his fate. The hunter’s lifeless body rocks eerily as the waves push him.

“What have I done? Cried the serpent. This was not how this battle was suppose to end, what have I done? What have I done?”

The serpent pushes the hunter’s shredded body onto the sand, and dives into the bloody water, and what became of the hunter? Well, he did not die; no he is far from dead. He lives in a little cottage on the shore of cape Mura. He gave up bounty hunting, and instead now trains dragons. He wrote this story so that everyone could realize that sometimes, beasts protect themselves because humans are the ones that seek vengeance on them.


The author's comments:
This is a piece inspired by medieval monster stories. It has a unexpected twist to go with it and I hope that you will realize that animals sometimes have a bad reputation because they defend themselves from primarily us!