No Story Title for the Apocalypse | Teen Ink

No Story Title for the Apocalypse

October 3, 2013
By Boots_2014 BRONZE, Palmer, Massachusetts
Boots_2014 BRONZE, Palmer, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“It's easier to go down a hill than up it, but the view is much better at the top.”


I knew it was coming. The North Koreans took over the United States. No longer is this a place of beauty, it’s a wasteland. Few trees, an everlasting dessert. Apocalyptic like. Every man and woman for themselves. People are independent. We must fight for our food. It isn’t fun I can tell you that. My name is John Knolton and I shall show you what it’s like to live in Post Apocalyptic America.
It’s cold as hell in the Winter, and blazingly hot in the summer. No water parks too cool off. I’m on my way to Massachusetts to get to a boat to Europe. I hope to get to Europe someday, if I were to survive this wasteland.
Then I see a man. So I grab by .45 caliber to protect myself. Then I hear the man shouting, “Don’t shoot me for I have news” I still have the .45 in my hands, then I saw that it was an older gentleman and I put my gun back n it’s holster. He shouts again, “Don’t shoot me, for I have news” The only people you should trusts are messengers.
The gentleman comes towards me and I say, “What news do you bring?” The man shaken up with a stutter in his voice, “I bring news of a possible place here in the States. A safe and civilized community. With security and freedom.”
“Where?” I say.
“New Hampshire, sir, New Hampshire” the gentleman says.
“I’m on my way to Boston Harbor to go to Europe. What does New Hampshire have that Europe doesn’t?” I ask
The older gentleman replies, “Democracy! Europe is going under turmoil. They are battling the North Koreans as well. And seems like the North Koreans will take this worl over. Our Allies are working as hard as they can to not let this happen.”
So I say goodbye to the gentleman and give him some ammunition. And off I went. Except I changed my destination. To New Hampshire I go. I’m in New Jersey now. It may take a couple more days than expected, but it will be worth it. In the name of Democracy.
Days go by and I enter Philadelphia. Looks like a ghost town. I walk through and I see these two heavy set guys with big guns. They both had long hair and big beards. We stop to look at each other. Almost like a standoff. One of them said, “What’s your business here?” I look at him straight in the eyes and say “I’m off to New Hampshire” And one of them says, “Why New Hampshire” I said, “In the name of freedom and democracy.” The second gentleman says, “Are you a Democrat?” And I say, “Independent” There is a pause. They walk off. And I’m on my way.
Days go by and I enter Springfield Massachusetts. I’m close to my hometown of Palmer, Massachusetts. Unfortunately, I cannot go there due to radiation. Memories vanished from the small town. But as I walk by the MassMutral Center, where a tank is lodged in the entrance. When I walk through this city, I think of the band I used to listen to. The band name is Staind I would listen to them day and night. In fact, I saw them in concert. And that’s where I met my girlfriend Shannon. Unfortanitally, the North Koreans took her and held her in a prison as a Spy. They grabbed her like she was a trashy rag doll that nobody cared about. She was treated like an animal. Cuffed. I will never know what happened to her, but I will think of her every day. I have a partially burnt photo of her and me. It will always be in my wallet with money that is practically worthless.
Nobody uses US Currency anymore. It’s all barter and trade. Money is used for fire building. I have started fire to cook my food that isn’t in a Military MRE. Meals ready to eat. When I sit down for the day. I always listen to Johnny Cash’s Like a Soldier featuring Willie Nelson. It reminds me of the good times and all the sacrifices I was forced into.
Loneliness, man for himself, can’t trust no one, no more good food, no clean water, I lost twenty five pounds over the months. I’m glad I know how to do these things for I am an Eagle Scout. I also join the Army. I was an infantryman. So I’m used to this. Except for the fact I’m alone. Alone in the middle of an apocalyptic world.
Finally after days of walking, I finally reach New Hampshire. And another messenger comes. It’s another older gentleman. He told me I was almost there and there would be no more worries. He promised and he pleaded. I thanked him and gave him some of my ammunition. And we walked our separate ways.
I approach the gate and a gentleman stops me and say, “What’s your business here?” And I said, “I’m here for the promised land. Democracy and security.” He laughed and said, “Well you came to the right place. This used to be a North Korean prison. But we infiltrated them and turned this uncivilized wasteland into a community. Where everyone is free by our constitution?” I asked, “What freedoms am I entitled to?” He asked me, “Did you pass history” I answered, “I got a C.” He told me with a Johnny Cash like voice, “Well, our rights were the original Bill of Rights. Your safe here. Welcome yourself.”
I had a deep feeling inside and hoped to see my girlfriend I haven’t seen in a while. I looked all over, and I couldn’t find her. Couldn’t find her at all. I went to my room and cried. Never cried like this in my life. Than an older gentleman walks in and tells me, “Everything will be alright, son. John, these are my last days. It’s time to move on. Bury me with honor and pride. I may have left you when you were three, but I’m here now.” I look at him with with confusion and emotion, and I say, “Father, it’s ok.”
The next day I bury my father. I never knew I would meet him like this. And I tell my new neighbors this, “Strangers, we must fight back the North Koreans to hell and back. They took the lives we had ant threw it all away.” Everyone joined up and off we went to fight the people who ruined us. No one will know if we return or not, but if we die, we will die for them. We will die for the freedom and democracy that we used to have.


The author's comments:
Every story or novel that is advertised towards my age group doesn't appeal to me. Suicide, teen pregnancy, cancer, and other depressing topics. What about a view of the Post Apocalypse and what would happen if the North Koreans actually had the guts to take over America and turn it into a wasteland. So sit back, relax, and enjoy.