The Wonderful World of Aunt Eva’s Store | Teen Ink

The Wonderful World of Aunt Eva’s Store

By Sarahf GOLD, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sarahf GOLD, Tulsa, Oklahoma

As Josie looked out the window of the taxi onto her aunt’s home, she buzzed inside with excitement. Every summer her parents allowed her to go to her aunts to help out around her antique store. Josie had been counting down the days since Christmas (the last time she saw her aunt), to come visit the small town. “Florida is so beautiful,” Josie thought to herself as she paid the taxi driver. She was finally here, finally able to see her best friend, to see her favorite place on earth. The reason the store was so alluring to Josie was because of its contents- they were the most peculiar things she had ever seen! One year her aunt owned an old magicians set. It included all types of fascinating tricks and acts that amazed Josie every time she learned one! She remembered more and more of the captivating things her aunt’s store had held in the past. Josie walked up the little steps that led to her aunt’s home/store. Her aunt’s antique store was the most wonderful, alluring, shop ever. She pinched herself just before knocking at the door to be positive that this wasn’t all a dream. “Oh! I wonder who that could be,” came a voice from behind the cherry wood door. “Oh Auntie, it’s me!” Josie gleefully shouted. When the door opened, Josie immediately collected her aunt into a warm hug. “I missed you!” Josie gushed. “I missed you too, Josie dear! We need to catch up! Now come inside and eat something! You must be hungry after coming all the way from California,” replied her aunt enthusiastically. The two walked inside. Josie sat and ate the abundant amount of food that her aunt had prepared for her arrival. The two chattered on and on until the clock struck midnight. “Oh dear, is it midnight? Auntie Eva exclaimed, shaking her head. “Have we really been talking since seven o’clock?” Aunt Eva continued, “Well, we have a very big day tomorrow, don’t we?” Josie responded excitedly, “Yes we do! I really can’t wait, Auntie! I want to see all the stuff you have collected in your shop!” Aunt Eva got up off the couch, leaned over, gave Josie a light kiss on the forehead and said,“ It’ll be here before you know it, I promise. Be patient. Now please go to bed. I can’t have you acting like a zombie tomorrow at the shop!” Josie chuckled. “Okay, I wouldn’t want to scare anyone.” Aunt Eva and Josie said goodnight and went off to their rooms.

That night Josie felt too excited to sleep. She wanted more than anything to explore the wonders of her aunt’s store. She knew that her aunt had warned her to wait until morning- but how could she? She had waited all year for this! The store had a wonderful amount of surprises, and Josie just had to see a few of them! She turned on her lamp and crept out of bed. Walking down the steps that led to the store, she almost couldn’t control her enthusiasm. When she reached the door that separated her form the shop, she noticed that there was a faint glow coming from the base of the door. What was behind the door? Josie hesitated for only a moment, and then she slowly turned the knob. When the door was opened just the slightest, she poked her head threw. What she saw bewildered her- the light that was coming from the room was real as day, then suddenly vanished. “What was that?” she whispered to herself, a little afraid. She stepped inside. “H…Hello?” She asked the dark room. There was only the wailing of the wind outside in response. “Okay, now you’re just imagining things, don’t be such a wimp.” Josie thought to herself. The room was only lit by the dim glow from the moon coming in through the windows. She stepped closer in and felt against the wall for the light switch. “Where is that dumb switch?” She asked herself. She moved her hand around a bit more until she finally found it. “Aha.” She said flipping on the blindingly bright light. As she turned around facing the room, she came face to face with a large figure. Josie shrieked then laughed with relief as she realized it was only a brass knight in armor. “What are you doing in here? You belong in a castle!” Josie giggled as she stepped away from the knight and toward the rest of the room. Her jaw dropped at what she saw before her. The room was filled with all sorts of fascinating things! There was a giant statue of a fairy, an Indian teepee, a snow globe the size of Goliath, a treasure chest, and a thrilling amount more! Josie had a wild grin on her face. She began walking over to the treasure chest when something weird happened. The brass knight’s spear suddenly latched out in front of her, blocking her path from the rest of the room. “Hey! Who do you think…?” Josie began in an angry voice. “Auntie, if you’re trying to scare me, you’ll have to do a whole lot better. I don’t get scared that easily!” There was no response. “…Auntie? Are you there?” Josie questioned a bit weakly. “Well, who are you talking to? I demand to know!” came a deep, masculine voice. Josie screamed and then responded in a shaky voice. “What’s going on here? Auntie, you come out right know!” The knight turned in a robot fashion until he was facing Josie and asked, “Are you okay? Who is this auntie fellow you’re so determined to find?” Josie backed away until she was pressed against the wall. “Wh-who are you?” She asked the knight in a frightened voice. “Me? Well I’m Knight Jenkins, of course! And who might you be, young lady?” he answered gently. “I…I’m Josie. What’s going on here? How are you talking?” Josie asked Knight Jenkins, still a bit shaken. “What do you mean? I live just like you! I may only come alive at night, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m not real!” the knight replied a bit insulted. “Oh, I’m sorry. It’s just that it’s not every day that I see a talking, moving coat of arms.” Josie apologized. “Very well, then. I accept your apology. I don’t interact with humans very much - except for Eva.” The knight replied kindly. “Eva? You know Aunt Eva?” Josie asked feeling braver. “Well, of course.” Knight Jenkins quipped. “She is my owner, after all. Is that the Auntie person you were calling to? I’ve never known her as Auntie, just Eva.” Knight Jenkins sounded amused. “Aunt Eva is not only my aunt, she is my best friend. I am here, visiting her.” Josie exclaimed. “If you’re a friend of Eva’s, then you are a friend of ours.” Jenkins replied. “Ours?” Josie asked with widening eyes. The Knight stepped out of the way between Josie and the rest of the store. Josie nearly fainted at the sight. The whole room had come alive. The fairy statue, a stuffed tiger (hopefully tamed.), pirate figures, a marble bust, paintings, glass birds, everything! “Wow, wow, wow!” Josie Jumped up and down, excitedly. “This is the most astonishing thing I have ever seen in my whole life!” Josie was introduced to the entire room by Knight Jenkins, who was in charge of what they called the Oasis. Josie was experiencing the most magical time of her life- literally. After hours of spending time with the Oasis, Josie tiptoed off to bed. “Amazing!” She whispered to herself as she fell into a glorious sleep.

The next morning Josie awoke to Auntie Eva sitting on the end of her bed with a tray of delicious looking breakfast. “Good morning, my beautiful Josie. I’m pleased to see you that lasted through the night. How was your sleep?” Aunt Eva asked Josie in a sweet tone. Josie responded with a smile. “Magical, just magical.”

THE END.