Never- Prolouge | Teen Ink

Never- Prolouge

By MayraSal SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
MayraSal SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light"

A dark room. A man. A gun.
That are three things you could essentially create a story out of. It could be any story, but more probably, a mystery. Most mystery or horror stories have dark rooms in them.
Why? Because everything is scarier and more mysterious in the dark.
You can't see in the dark, so you cant see what might happen. Even as little children we learn this. We fear the monsters under our beds or in the closet. Any noise could be a hungry, sharp-toothed beast waiting until we are asleep to grab our legs and then devour us.
Still, as we grow up, the dark still makes us uncomfortable.
An average human would rather waste electricity and thus destroy our planet even more, just to avoid being in the dark while getting a glass of water.
For every story you need a character, thus the man, and an object/'s that this character must have, thus the gun. A man alone in a dark room isn't really exiting. Imagine a story just about a man with nothing but his clothes sitting in a dark room, it would be boring. Of course, this man could just stand up and go out of the dark room to the outside world. But to what? To another scenario? An objectless scenario.
However, a room alone with a gun or simply a man with a gun isn't a very good story either.
See, these three things are essential. A character, an object and a scenario.
This is exactly how our story begins. With a man, a gun and a dark room. However, it is not the story you are expecting. So be prepared, because what you are about to read may change you, depending on if you truly are aware of the story.
Dying once is normal, however, I never die.