Captured | Teen Ink

Captured

March 21, 2013
By mfmcilroy43 SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
mfmcilroy43 SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Captured



As it does every morning at around 6:30 am, the sun rose in the eastern half of the sky. The sun’s rays streamed in through the windows, permeated my eyelids, and woke me from a deep sleep. I rose, stretched my legs, and stepped outside. The morning air was crisp, and the tall grass was sprinkled with dew. The sun shone bright over my head. The world was waking up, along with me. I could hear the birds calling to each other from the tree tops, each one with a different song.

This morning was no different than any other. I ate the same breakfast that I eat everyday. I spend most mornings out in the field, minding my own business, and admiring Mother Nature. The sky was a beautiful pure blue, spotted with fluffy white clouds. The breeze rustled the leaves of the tall oak tree, shaking some of them to the ground. I watched them float down to earth like a feather. I then wander back inside everyday for the same lunch. Now that I think about it, I’m surprised that I haven’t gotten sick of having the same meal everyday, three times a day. When I’m finished eating, I retreat to my bed for my afternoon nap. I close my eyes and doze off into my own world.

Normally my sleep gets interrupted by my neighbors, and I never get as much rest as I hoped. But something was different today...it was very quiet and very still. I wasn’t about to complain though, I need all the sleep I can get. The world was escaping me. Gone was the sun, and the birds, and the grass, and the dew. Images of things I didn’t even know existed flashed across my mind. I hadn’t slept this well in ages. Until, suddenly, I felt something enclose over me. The grip of someone much stronger than I held onto me as a I screamed and kicked trying to break free. I fought furiously with every bone in my body, but I was no match for my captor.

After what seemed like forever, I was released into a strange place. It was pitch black, but I could tell I was not alone. It was so crowded and claustrophobic, I could barely move an inch without bumping into someone else. The heat and the smell were unbearable. The things I would do to be back in my field, watching the sun rise, and listening to the birds sing. I was starving, but I didn’t know if I would ever be given food again. I tried making friends with the people around me, but no one seemed to care. No one responded to my hello’s, or acknowledged my waves. No one accepted my compliments. I don’t even think anyone noticed I was there. Everyone was sad and lonely in the darkness.

I stood alone and tried to get to get some sleep. There was no sun to awake me, and since I couldn’t move there wasn’t much I could do to keep entertained besides escape into my imagination. I dreamt about being back in my home. I dreamt about the breakfast I had every morning. I dreamt about the sun. I dreamt about the grass sprinkled with dew.

I was greeted, once again, by a rude awakening. I thought about kicking and I thought about screaming, but then I remembered there was no point. Whoever was holding onto me was stronger then I will ever be. Suddenly, all of the blood began rushing to my head. I could feel my toes begin to go numb, and my head begin to swell. I was hanging by my feet, in excruciating pain, moving along into some place unknown. I felt myself begin to slowly drop. I was being lowered. I was terrified. I panicked. I began to wail uncontrollably, as I felt myself sink into the warmth. I was submerged into water, and suddenly everything went dark.

Two Weeks Later

“Hi. Welcome to McDonalds, can I take your order?”

“Yes, I’ll have a 6 piece McNugget, with fries and medium Coke.”

“Ketchup?”

“Yes please.”

“Your total comes to $5.99. Have a good day.”

“Thank you!”

“Next in line. Hi, welcome to McDonalds, can I take your order?”