Target Practice | Teen Ink

Target Practice

March 3, 2013
By kbatra SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
kbatra SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
6 articles 0 photos 12 comments

I stand behind the sharp steel pillar, which struts out like a mountain, in the cold room, I start to breath rapidly, and more excitedly. This, again, is my chance. I could finally kill him!

Past the pillar is a door shielded by a guard, in black like a starless sky. I will have to negotiate past him to reach my target.

I pull a silver, non-bent, paper clip out of my pocket and a sleek knife in the other hand. A beautiful thing, that knife is. It has black gripped handle with a white design, and a stainless iron blade, about a foot long, that is sharp enough to cut bone, like a blunt kitchen knife slices butter.

I drop the paperclip on the base of the wide pillar. A quiet clink can be heard as it hits the steel, and breaks the silence in cold the room.

As the heavy footsteps of the guard near the pillar, from the right side, to check out the the noise, I silently slip to the left side of the pillar.

I hear the guard bend over and pick up the paper clip, from the otherwise perfectly clean floor. By the time the guard is inspecting the paperclip, and is standing up, I have snuck up behind him. I bring the knife upward, and quickly slit his throat, before the guard can react in any way. Then I slide the knife into the man’s heart, finishing what would otherwise be a painful slow death.

The guard collapses without a sound, while his blood spreads through his uniform, changing the black to a dark red color. I wipe the blood off my knife on the pant leg of the guard, and then walk toward the door the guard was standing by. The only sound in the modern, unforgiving, room is the dripping of the dead guard’s blood.

Now comes the fun part, I think, when I reach the door. I insert a microchip into the card slot of the door. The chip will hack into the computer system in the building, and will unlock every door in the house.

I pull out my pistol into my empty hand, the familiar feeling warming my hand, and walk through the now unlocked door which leads into an open living space, which is much more welcoming then the sharp room before. I dive behind a couch and crouch down, so no one will see me. When I peer over the couch I realize that my target is around the next corner of the room, talking to someone. That person is the target’s brother, and together they run two restaurants, and are in the drug trafficking business.

I smile solemnly. The brother will be a bonus on top of my target. I look to make sure there are no other people in the bright expansive room. I pull out my knife in my left hand, which still has a red tinge sparkling on it. I need to be much stealthier now, so I don’t alert the brothers before I reach them, for they are cold blooded killers who have a better aim with a gun than anyone else that I can think of.

I see that there is a sort of bar that travels the whole length of the room that I can see, and then turns the corner to where my target is. I crawl to the bar, which has granite counters and stainless steel cupboards and appliances, and walk behind the counter. I crawl past the large, clean, bar, slowly narrowing the distance between me and my target. After the turn, the bar ends and there are piles of barrels, stacked like a wooden wall.

I look past the end of the bar and get my first look of my target, and his brother. They are standing, facing the other direction, and the both have black semi-automatic rifles slung across their backs. I slit the side of one of the barrels to see what is inside, and my knife comes out covered in white powder. Cocaine.

I look more closely at the brothers, and see they are looking intently at a large flat screen TV, which is displaying statistics of some sort. As quietly as I can, I crawl towards them.

When I am three feet away from the two men I jump up making a thumping noise.

Startled the brothers turn around.

Right when they do this, I slide the knife through the targets brother’s neck, while firing my silenced pistol in my target’s head. As they both collapse to the ground, I see the blue-green color of life drift away from their eyes, and their bloodied mouths open in surprise. The only sound to be heard is the heavy thump of the bodies hitting the wooden floor.

I stick my gleaming knife into each man’s heart, to ensure their deaths.

Now I have no time to lose. I grab my red knife from my target’s heart, which sets off another wave of blood, gushing from his punctured chest.

Past the TV the men were looking at, is a wall of tinted windows, so I swiftly run to them. I only have a little time left, before someone notices the dead guard.

This is where I am going to have to make noise. I swing my arm, using the butt of my pistol to smash the window. The crash of the windows ring in the air, and an alarm begins to blair all around me.

I hear shouts from behind me, so I pull a cord in my mini backpack, and dive out of the broken window, from the 17th story penthouse of the building. As I am falling I laugh. Is this worth it? I think. Why did I do it? Why? Falling makes you question everything you know.

After two seconds of falling, I snap out of it, and pull the second cord in my backpack, releasing a black parachute. I don’t care if anyone sees me anymore. I see my goal.

When I land I begin to run, and cut the draping parachute from my bag. I sprint towards a black BMW and dive inside. The car starts driving before I can even close the door.

When I sit down, the car speaks in a robotic voice. “Objective complete”.

“Save and logout”. I reply.

“Saving”. It bleeps.

I close my eyes and wait.

When I open my eyes, the helmet that was covering my face has retracted and I am back in the “tube”, as everyone calls it, after I have completed another level. I can’t wait to text my friends that I have finally completed level 57. None of them are that far.

As I walk out of the “tube”, into the basement of my house, I hear my mother calling; “John time for dinner”!

I smile a tired smile, and then walk up the stairs into my house, escaping the promise of the “tube”.


The author's comments:
This is an action story with violence, that has a neat twist at the end. I hop you like it.