Nia and the Story

My name is Nia. I'm 14, and I'll be 15 in February. I gotta tell you, living in this city is crazy. You got the gangs, the kids, the poor people, the.....not so poor people, cops' sirens every night, I mean, c'mon now1 we’ve got the whole package here! And I just wish there was some way I could take a big box, a pretty little bow, some duct tape, and ship this mess far far away. Like that one song. Except farther.
Anyway, I'm in High School, and I gotta admit, I'm pretty worn out now. I remember I used to love coming to school and doing new things learning new skills. Now, I can't get away from it fast enough. But it's not all that bad, just like lemons; it's got some really sweet parts.
Like.....ohhhhh the art! Oh and the people. Right here, in this land, this is the definition of melting pot. We got Latinos, blacks, whites, mixes, Asians, Africans...people from all over the world! It's crazy man!
Oh, and also...
"Hey Nia, you still working on that city novel of yours?" My bestest friend, Brian, sneaks up behind me.
I decide to give him attitude, “And if I am?" I say, swinging my head in his direction. He tries to pop me but I slap his hand away.
“Don’t be rude, I'll take you down chica1 you know what’s up, mi huevos!"
I try no laugh as I push him away; he's staggering and falling like a drunk, laughing so hard."You dork! Why do you always say stuff like that?"
"You know you like this, I know you want me!"
“Tah! Bye now!"
"Did the bell ring yet?" Damian comes up behind up with a bored expression.
"Well Mister Lazy, maybe if you didn't sleep so much you would know that."
"Just answer my question, “he says
"Don't be getting smart, Chico," Brian steps in.
"What's it to you, know-it-all? No one cares about you right now, so just stay outta this conversation before someone gets hurt. And Ima tell you right now that it ain't gonna be me,"
Brian’s smile faltered a little, but he tends to stand his ground; I still had that queasy feeling I was gonna have to step in there pretty soon.
" Use better grammar, it's 'It isn’t going to be me,""
"How long did it take you to learn that English Chicano?"
Just as Brian got serious, I stepped in between them.
"Damian, you don't need to say stuff like that, Brian was just kidding at the beginning stop being so mean,"
"Oh so now I'm the one in the wrong?"
"You were certainly not right when you said,"
"You always blame me, but you never say he does anything wrong"
"Can you please just give me a moment to speak my mind?"
The bell rings. We're all three still standing there; I’m caught off guard...
"I gotta go," Brian says and comes up to hug me tight. In my ear he whispers,
"I'll apologize first, I know he's sensitive,"
Before I could say anymore he turns around and says,
"Yo, man, I’m sorry if I upset you in any way, shape o forma. No hard feelings bro."
"Don't call me bro."
"Then I see all is forgiven," Brian replies and walks off to class.
Damian tries to stalk away, but I stopped him.
"Whoa there. I don't know where you think you’re going...”
"Look can we talk about this some other time? Please?"
"Sorry babe, but even pleases aren't gonna work this time. What's up with you two? I know you see him trying to be your friend. Why do you keep pushing him away?"
"I have my reasons..." he responds as we're half-way down the crowded hall.
I stop a pull up my backpack, leaning over more on on hip than the other.
"And theses, I'm guessing, you’re not going to tell me?"
He sighs and stops, not looking at me, dark hair falling into his eyes.
"I'm not ready to tell you that. Not yet that is."
I'm quiet. I look up at him.
"Damian, I love you both so much. You are so very important to me. Don't ever think you’re not."
He smiles without looking up. and I think I know why. He still doesn't look up as he hugs me and says goodbye in a tiny soft voice. As he shuffles away I'm thinking in my head, “Father God help me, I don't know what to do with theses two!" Then I walk into my class.

SuNshiNe007 said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 7:22 am
Wow..I really like this! This is a great story, great job!! Keep up the amazing job!:)

ToranThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thanks! Always nice to hear from you Sunshine! :)

SuNshiNe007 replied...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:23 am
Awe, its always nice to hear from you too Toran!:)

Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:35 am
Yahhhh!!!How are you?

SuNshiNe007 replied...
Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:39 am
Im doing better than I was this weekend..I blacked out 3 times saturday. And Sunday I ended up in the Emergency room, from dehidration, etc.. And Monday I had to go back to the doctor..It sucked..My Easter:( But Im getting better:) How are you?

Well, except for the fact I have to worry about you constantly now, I'm pretty good!

SuNshiNe007 replied...
Really.. Ha.. You dont have to do that..