Trouble in Paradise | Teen Ink

Trouble in Paradise

December 19, 2011
By brann SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
brann SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

CHARACTERS
Aiden
Rachel
Narrator

TIME:

Evening
PLACE:
Outside in a luxurious forest
Act I
Scene I
AT RISE:
The audience sees a magnificent forest. There is some sort of wall in the middle.
On one side of the wall is a boy pacing. On the other side, a girl lying on the grass looking up towards the sky.

NARRATOR: We’ve all heard of Romeo and Juliet? Their forbidden love affair. Well this is


somewhat similar to it. However, no one has to die in order to be with the one


they love. Anyway there is this luxurious forest with a boy on one side and a girl


on the other. They can only hear each other’s voices because there are these


vines, that spiral up and criss-cross and intertwine. They’ve created a giant wall or

gate-like structure. You can’t climb over it because there are thick thorns all over


them. And that is where our story begins.

AIDEN:
(Pacing) Hey Rachel!

RACHEL:
Yeah Aiden?

AIDEN:
We’ve known each other for what? Seventeen years?

RACHEL:
About, yes. Why?

AIDEN:
Well we know everything about one another except we’ve never met.

RACHEL:
What are you going to do about it? (Sarcastically) Magically conjure up some super powers and fly over?

AIDEN:
Very funny! I’m just saying it’s interesting.

RACHEL:
What are you getting at?

AIDEN:
Nothing, just an observation.

RACHEL:
(Doubtingly) Sure.

AIDEN:
Do you know how everyone talks about love at first sight? Or how love is blind


and all that mumbo jumbo?

RACHEL:
(Frustrated) Ugh! Just get to the point already!

AIDEN:
Gosh calm down. (Nervously) Well is it possible to love someone you’ve never met before?

RACHEL:
(Oblivious) Well, I suppose. I mean love is more than looks, right?

AIDEN:
I suppose so, yes. So it would be perfectly normal if say I were in-love with you? Even though I only know the sound of your voice and who you are by the way you describe your life to me.

RACHEL:
Are you saying?

AIDEN:
Yeah that’s exactly what I’m saying.

RACHEL:
I just didn’t… I thought…

AIDEN:
Hey, I’m a boy, you’re a girl. We’ve known each other for years. Sooner or later it was bound to happen. I mean, haven’t you seen any romantic comedies?

RACHEL:
Well yes but the feelings don’t tend to be mutual in those movies until the girl is getting married to someone else and the male friend tries to stop it.

AIDEN:
(Confidentially) I knew it was mutual.

RACHEL:
(Giggling) Don’t get too conceited now. But there’s still a giant vine wall between us, Mr. Romance.

AIDEN:
Well, there were two whole families in between Romeo and Juliet and they lived happily ever after.

RACHEL:
Yeah until they died! Didn’t you ever read that story? They had to die to be together. I don’t know about you but death isn’t really an option I want to consider.

AIDEN:
Yeah I probably shouldn’t have skipped that last act. But no, not death! I’m pretty sure there is a way to get through this wall.

RACHEL:
Like I said conjure up some super powers lover boy.
AIDEN:
(Thinking) One day I’ll figure it out, one day. One day.
Act I
Scene II
AT RISE:
We see AIDEN on his side of the forest, pulling the leaves off of the yucca plants around him. RACHEL is on her side of the forest, basking in the sun teasing AIDEN about his erratic behavior.

NARRATOR:
Now AIDEN finally came up with a plan to get over the wall. He decided he would take the leaves off the yucca plants and tie them together to build a rope. Yuccas are strong so he thought it would support he’s body weight. RACHEL on the other hand wasn’t as optimistic about AIDEN’s plan.

RACHEL:
That’s never going to work you know!

AIDEN:
Can’t you have a little faith in me?

RACHEL:
I’ll believe it when I see it.

AIDEN:
(Sarcastically) You’re so supportive and optimistic.

RACHEL:
(Offended) I’m only being practical.

AIDEN:
And I’m being creative.

RACHEL:
What are going to do when you get over anyway?

AIDEN:
Oh, you know? We’ll have that romantic moment when we run into each other’s arms and spin around.

RACHEL:
(Giggles) You’ve watched way to many romantic films.

AIDEN:
Hey what can I say I’m a hopeless romantic.

NARRATOR:
After hours of tiresome work AIDEN was finally able to make the rope long enough to go over the wall. He decided to climb over the wall in the morning. When he did, he and RACHEL had their romantic moment. They lay down together in each other’s arms in the grass staring up at the clouds. They spent days this way. They spent months this way. They spent years this way. Everything seemed perfect.
Act I
Scene III
AT RISE:
It’s night time. We see AIDEN preparing a fire. RACHEL is sitting in the grass, agitated.
RACHEL:
Ugh! We’ve been on this annoying island for years! When are we going to get out of here?
AIDEN:
Honestly, I kind of like it here.
RACHEL:
Are you insane?
AIDEN:
(Chuckles) No. I mean it’s nice here. No distractions. No corruption. No violence. Only peace, peace and love. (Points to RACHEL)
RACHEL:
(Irritated) You’re not funny or cute, so cut it out.
AIDEN:
Sorry, it was a bit much, wasn’t it? Too mushy?
RACHEL:
Yeah…it was. I guess I’m just-(interjection)
AIDEN:
I mean I LOVE being here with you…on this island. It’s the only thing I ever thought about before we actually met…and now…it’s come true and all I ever-
RACHEL:
Alright! I get it! (Angry)
AIDEN:
Sorry...I’ll just…leave you alone for a while. (Leaves Rachel)

Act I
Scene IV

AT RISE:
We see AIDEN making a flower arrangement, with colors red to signify the love and passion that he has for RACHEL and with colors of yellow to signify that strong friendship that they have had for so many years. AIDEN searches for Rachel only to find her gathering materials as if to leave.
NARRATOR:
AIDEN has finally come to the realization that RAHCEL is the one he loves and that he wants to fulfill his dream of living on this island for the rest of his life with RACHEL, his life-long partner. Yet, while AIDEN has been dreaming of this his whole life and has been blinded by love, many things have crossed his attention without him knowing. Rachel does not plan to live here the rest of her life…she has another life in store.
AIDEN:
Hey, uhhh, Rachel…I was wonderin’…would you like to-oh-
RACHEL:
(Packing things in a ruck-sack) I’m sorry, Aiden. I just can’t do this anymore; I have to get off this island-it’s driving me insane! I need to find a bett-I mean- a more suitable lifestyle for myself.
AIDEN:
Rach…what are you doing? What is all of this stuff? Where are you going? (Worrying tone) I’m sorry for what I may have done, we can-
RACHEL:
NO, AIDEN. No more! I can’t do this with you anymore, I need to leave!
AIDEN:
Why? What did I do to make you do this?! I thought you were happy?!
RACHEL:
No…no. You see, Aiden, I was never happy here. While you were busy dreaming of some love life with me, I was busy dreaming of leaving this godforsaken island and of leaving you. To be honest…I never had an interest in you.
AIDEN:
Rach! (Furious yet sad)
RACHEL:
Aiden! Listen! I have finally made contact with someone outside of this island and he has finally-
AIDEN:
He, Rachel? HE?
RACHEL:
Yes, Aiden…he. And I’m leaving this place with him.
(Enter Donte)

DONTE:
Rachel, you ready? Oh…I didn’t-(has a knife in hand)
AIDEN:
No…you’re not going Rachel. I’m not letting you. I love you. I just can’t let you go that easy.
RACHEL:
I’m leaving, Aiden. I knew this would eventually happen…so I prepared. You have two choices….one…I leave without any trouble…from you of course….or two…you cause me trouble, Donte takes “care” of you and I leave anyways. What’s it going to be?
AIDEN:
They say love is a struggle, right?
RACHEL:
Sure…
AIDEN:
Well...at least I can surely say I had quite a struggle until the very end.
NARRATOR:
AIDEN walks towards RACHEL in an attempt to take her away but DONTE interferes and crosses AIDEN’S path to stop him. As AIDEN rushes towards RACHEL, DONTE’S knife silently catches AIDEN in the gut. AIDEN falls to the ground…with the flowers in hand. RACHEL and DONTE run through the forest and disappear into the dark foliage. AIDEN lies there…gasping for air. Eventually he takes one last breath, and then the light fades from his eyes. We see a dark red drop of blood, almost the color of black; stain one of the petals of the roses.