The Legend of the Heartbroken Man | Teen Ink

The Legend of the Heartbroken Man

By RebelliousFate GOLD, Henderson, Nevada
RebelliousFate GOLD, Henderson, Nevada

"It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance. It is the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance. It is the one who won't be taken who cannot seem to give. And the soul afraid of dying that never learns to live." -Bette Mier

“Do something memorable,” Her words sliced through his already broken heart, “At this moment you’re a nobody. Nobody wants a nobody.”

He released a slight nod, knowing that if he let his words speak for him they would prove him weaker than he already written him off as.

Her aroma hung in the air as long as her words did after she had left. For some reason all those years he had spent chasing the dream no longer seemed relevant. A deep pang hung in his chest. His heart was officially in halves.

“I’ll prove her wrong,” A hoarse whisper withdrew from his lips. Her rejection wasn’t a trigger to some unforeseen fate, yet it was an eye-opener to a much needed one. He had once promised her the world, but never thought of how he would manage to obtain it. That’s when the idea dawned on him. Travel across the world and bring her a piece of it. To gain her heart he world bring her the world.

Prior to his infatuation with prevailing beauty he had been the man on the beach searching his soul through the waves. Today he was that man again but with a new purpose, a new soul to gain. With not a penny to his name to planned to bring the love of his life a piece of European soil.

Slowly be began his mission across the Atlantic Ocean, ore in one hand and a glass bottle tucked away in his ever-so-fashionable fanny pack. As the days grew longer his journey fell somewhat short of expectations. Hours became moments and days became years. The sea consumed all land from his standpoint and left him yearning his lost love.

Some say he went mad, being surrounded by the sea for such a long time. Other people say he already was mad and his journey was only an example of his insanity. The only proof of the man’s tale is a photograph taken by puzzled fisherman of Japan. To this day people still say they spot him on his surf board looking for European soil, hoping to go back to the woman he loves.