The Nation's Auburn | Teen Ink

The Nation's Auburn

October 1, 2011
By notmehaha GOLD, Suffolk, Virginia
notmehaha GOLD, Suffolk, Virginia
17 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Suess


A burst of tanned yellow managed to sneak it's way into Alabaster's room. He groaned. The simple light was too much for him. How could it already be morning? He had slept too long. Now he couldn't get outside until the clock struck at least eight. Still undressed he crawled onto the floor, crawling carefully into shadows. His stomach moaned. He glanced at his upper body and clearly saw his ribs. Last time he had a bite must of been weeks ago. It didn't matter though. At least not for now.

At three-thirty kids from most Elementary schools dashed out of their classes. One was dressed as a witch, another was a baseball player. Groups of all these children talked among each other about their plans later today. Among all these excited voices you heard every other sentence about candy. Jayden probably was most pleased about later today. His mind wasn't focused on sweets, but something much more important. He was going to see someone very special to him.

At seven forty-five the sun had already disappeared. Kids with costumes and make up began knocking on each door with large bags in their hands. Jayden was ready for this. He had fake fangs lined up with his real teeth, a dark cloak, and his hair was spray painted a brilliant black shade. He opened his front door and began walking to a cemetery that hasn't had any newcomers for over thirty years. His jaw trembled as he climbed over a rusty gate to enter. He had waited for this day for a long time, but when it finally came to be, he wasn't that excited anymore His stomach emptied but he kept moving forward. "Alabaster." he whispered. "Where are you?" He held his breath to catch any faint noises. Waited a few seconds. "Yes?" mumbled a raspy voice. Jayden jumped. It had to be him. "Alabaster!" he called. Nothing this time. Maybe it was his imagination. He had to find out. He tried to look around without causing much attention to himself. He called his brother's name three more times. Jayden sighed and sat down. "Alabaster will find me." he thought. Seven minutes later he heard that same raspy voice. This time it said, "Jayden, I'm over here." Jayden stood up and followed the voice. His eyes were directed to a black coffin stained with blood. Jayden slowly opened it. There Alabaster was. He jumped out and stared closely at Jayden. Alabaster said, "Hey. Long time no see. Oh, and this is my friend, Avion." An almost transparent figure moved toward Jayden. He jumped. "Relax Jay," said Alabaster. "he won't bite." Avion stared at Jayden with a grin on his face. "He couldn't be that bad if he's Alabaster's friend." Jayden thought. "So we all ready for tonight?" asked Avion. "Yeah, just a sec." replied Alabaster. "Jayden, tonight we're going to do a special...Mission. You understand me?" Jayden nodded. "Good. I can't take you with me so go have fun trick-or-treating the rest of the night, okay?" Jayden nodded again. He couldn't tell Alabaster how much he wanted to go with him. The words wouldn't come out. "I'll see you tomorrow." said Alabaster. So with that, him and Avion flew upwards until both were too high to be seen.

Still disappointed, Jayden headed home. Already nine. His parents would kill him when he got back. As he entered the front door, his parents weren't there. Now he remembered. They were out at a party. Jayden undressed and fell asleep, arms crossed over his chest.

Morning. The sun wasn't up yet. Jayden wondered why. It was already past eight. He looked outside. It was still pitch black. Still confused, he got out of bed. The doorbell rang. Jayden sprung to the front door to answer. Without checking, he opened it. There stood Alabaster.

"Hey kiddo. Like it?" asked Alabaster.
"Like what?" questioned Jayden.
"Did you not notice it's completely dark outside? C'mon now."
"Oh. Yeah, I see. What about it?"
"I did it."
"What?"
"Last night when I said I couldn't take you along with me, all the ghosts, vampires, and all the other night creatures flew all the way up to space and blacked out the sun."
"...Not possible."
"How do you know?"
"I just do."
"Then explain the darkness."

Jayden couldn't. There wasn't any answers. He asked Alabaster, "How did you do it?" "Now I'm going to explain this in a very simple way. You understand the sun is a gas, right?"
"Right."
"And us night creatures can't stand the sun, as you know. So you know what we did?"
"What did you do?"
"There's always some guy who controls magic in each state. Every dark creature in every state went to this magic guy."
"Uh-huh."
"And he gave us a spell that reflects any light."
"What's it made of?"
"He**, I dunno. But back to the story. So we each make this spell which makes a potion. We drink a glass of the stuff and just like that, it's like out eyes are set to see only darkness."
"Whoa..."
"I know. So we go up into space and find the sun."
"How could you see the sun if all you can see is darkness?"
"That's just the thing, we can only see a ton of giant, black blobs. We dunno what's what. So we all split up."
"I see."
"Eventually one group find it. And we can feel it considering it burns like he**."
"Wait, how did you breathe?"
"Da**, you know you ask a lot of questions?"
"My bad."
"We don't breathe. Vampires and ghosts and all that stuff can hold their breath for the longest of times."
"Ohh. Please continue."
"Gladly. So we each have these magic nets that trap light. We all get a little bit of the sun until it's well...Gone."
"Amazing."
"I know. But that's the end of my story."
"What is the world going to do with no sun?"
"Not my problem."

Alabaster and Jayden continued their conversation for the next half hour. It seemed like the only choice was to deal with it. So that's just what everyone did, The world was now a dead bulb. People had to find out how to grow crops again, but in the end, it all worked out.

For all the night creatures.

The author's comments:
Vampires and ghosts and all those monsters can give some people the creeps. I try to write some horror but most of the time it ends up just neutral. This isn't my best work, honestly. Though, I'm too lazy to change anything.