The execution

“All rise.” The King shouted and everyone obeyed without a second thought. I stood too, holding on to my shield. My arm was sore; I’d been holding the blasted thing all morning. After this I had sword practice, it was going to be a long day. The King spoke again, “everyone this man, he was caught doing something completely unacceptable.” He paused to take in the looks on everyone’s faces. “This young man, Thomas Brandy was caught stealing gold from none other than the mighty King himself.” The king spoke in a gruff voice, but it softened as he mentioned himself. Gasps filled the audience and some people booed and threw stuff at the boy. I looked at the boy, he was young indeed. They used him as a slave, clean up. It wasn't his fault. I had seen executions many times but this one was different. I felt for this boy, I was young once, I was granted a second chance. I couldn’t stand seeing this boys face. I looked into the crowd and spotted a pair of water-filled, googly eyes up front. His wife. My heart skipped a beat then shattered into a million pieces. I looked back into the boys eyes. They stared at me back amplifying the fear and pain. I looked him over; his wrists were bloody from fighting against the ropes that suspended his hands behind his back. His face was bruised I suppose from trying to get free. I always ended up in the same place, those eyes. Tear filled, sorrow covered and dipped in pain. He was scared; you could tell he was forcing back the tears that he had left. He was trying to show his brave side but he was shaking uncontrollably. The guard shook him as he started to whimper and plead. I looked down at the tattoo on my wrist. It was the family’s crest I got when I was two. The King finished his speech and the guards drug him over and set his head on the chopping block.
I gulped as the King’s voice boomed. “Now, in honor of this ceremony, I will give the honors of dispensing of this horrid man, to one of my best, bravest warrior. Jude. Come up here.” I shot my head up that was staring at the tattoo and looked at The King wide eyed. “Sorry sir.” I murmured acting like I really didn’t know. He didn’t go for it. “You heard me son.” He said as the rest of the guards cheered me and some pushed me closer to the boy. The boy looked sideways at me with that same pity filled eyes. As if he was trying to say anyone but you. I looked away but was pushed up to the front. The King thrust the rope into my hands, one slip and he’d be gone. “Please, a round of applause for the bravest guard I have. My top man.” He shouted and the crowd went crazy, everyone except the boys wife. I mouthed “I'm so sorry.” But she looked at me in utter disgust. The King said a few more things about me, memories we shared, lightening the mood a little. The boy looked at me with something new now, determination, and anger. The Kings voice boomed at me again before I could whisper anything, my mind was going crazy trying to think of a plan, anything. “And now, let this be the last we see of this boy. And let this be a lesson to all that try to steal from the King.” He looked at me and nodded.
I looked at the boys wrist, then my. The tattoo gleamed every detail was the same. “Any last words Jude?” I grimaced and looked back at the boy.”I'm so sorry, my brother.” I let the rope slide out of my hand leaving burns. I looked away into the face of my sister-in-law. “I'm sorry.” I whispered again.

RyanTyler said...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:36 am:
Very good, Very powerful, I liked it.

monkeyfaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm :
thank you very much!

tyweioruweui said...
ur so stupid

Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:21 pm :
I'm Stupid??!?!?!?!?!

HonorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm :
tyweioruweui, that wasn't nice at all! Monkey face, I like it a lot except there are punctuation mistakes. EX: you said "the boys wife" but it's supposed to be "the boy's wife"...just saying.