Meet Me by the Seashore | Teen Ink

Meet Me by the Seashore MAG

This isn’t the life I planned - it’s not the end I anticipated, either.

I look down at the seashell, the last tangible hope I have. Everything else has been lost. The skin on the back of my neck prickles as the solemn bong of the clock brings his presence closer.

I cannot stop the inevitable, and I cannot control fate. I was a fool to think I could.

There are footsteps outside of the door, and the last sad bong of the clock fades away. He’s there; I can feel him, with his cold eyes and calm smile, as if there were no door and he stood in front of me. The tension crackles in the air, and I ready myself to face death.

Hours ... minutes ... seconds ... the last noises of life blend into the sweet, empty bliss of ignorance. For a shining moment, it’s quite okay to release everything. It’s all right for my heart to leap with joy at the fact that it will all be over soon. For a second, I let go of trouble.

A chuckle outside the church; my eyes fly open and I feel sick with dread. Without warning, the door smashes in. Splinters of wood and metal scraps hail down on me as I crouch like hardened rain. I shriek, dropping to my knees and wrapping my arms around my legs in a pathetic attempt to defend myself. It’s like trying to defend my past decisions. There is no point in trying to hide anymore. Only the last sane part of me dares to dream of escape.

He steps in, his smile bitter and dangerous. The dim white light pools at his feet, and he emerges from the fog. His slender figure is silhouetted against the dank gray of the outside world (which seems to have stopped) and he asks sweetly, “What’s this, darling?” I grip the shell - miraculously still whole - as I look up at him, my insides churning with horror.

“Are you afraid of death?” he coos, dragging a finger down the side of my face. He sounds almost amused by my fear. Is this a natural question for him to ask his prey? I would ask, but I fear he would cut out my tongue. Instead, I shake my head, trying to wish him away. It’s about as effective as trying to bite a flying bullet. He steps back, extending a youthful, willowy hand. His face is suddenly stern, as if he were not pleased with my answer. I keep my eyes on his hand, his fingernails painted the forbidden color. With a sinking feeling, I realize there is nothing this man won’t do.

I look from his hand to his eyes, and then back. He stares at me patiently, his face unreadable. I shake my head, moving my gaze. I’m afraid if I stare into those eyes for too long, the forbidden color will melt into me.

“You have no choice,” he quietly reminds me, his hand extended and waiting. I nod, climbing to my feet to stand on shaky knees. I take one wobbly step, then another. I don’t want to stand this close to him, but I have no choice. I cautiously reach out a hand, wondering if his flesh will sear mine with the heat of sin or damnation. In a fluid movement, he slips his fingers around my wrist; he’s strong for a man his size. He wraps an arm around my waist and hisses, “Sleep ....”

on Jan. 31 2012 at 5:45 pm
Pegasisus BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania

There is nothing more soothing to the soul than lying in the cool grass near the shoreline on a warm, breezy summer day, inhaling the deep green pine trees surrounding the gently undulating blue pond that someone you despise is drowning in.

Such a g0rge0us piece 0f writing!! Such suspense, such drama, I just kinda want t0 scream a little bit!! :D

on Dec. 18 2011 at 1:23 am
DarkMountain BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

My eyes feel so heavy when the stars are calling me
- Join with us eternally -
I'm falling in deep trance and my powers are weakening
I'm falling in a world between dreams and reality
... I'm sailing away to undiscovered seas...
Oh time...

This may be totally wrong, but... did you click the button when you published that says something like "I verify that this piece is completely original"? There should be a little check box. Sorry if that's obvious, just thought I'd ask.

on Sep. 21 2011 at 5:47 pm
sevandlilly BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what other people say you cannot do" -Walter Bagenot

Wow, this short peice was extremely powerful! It reminded me a little bit of a piece I am trying to submit (it won't let me, it says that I need to verify that it is original.. how do I do that?). I didn't know the girl's name or what had happened yet I felt my heart tighten as he talked to her. I was scraed for her even though I had only met her a couple second ago! There were some points were she seemed a little to contemplative but overall very well done!

on Aug. 8 2011 at 11:06 am
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
also my new story called alien  invasion series book one: the caller just came out, feel free to post comments and feedback! Thanks! :)(:

on Jul. 17 2011 at 8:32 am
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
Really great piece! I loved it! (sorry for advertizing) I just wrote two stories called the beast and nighstalker. It would be awesome if any of u could take a look at it and read and post some comments. I enjoy comments and the feedback. Thanks and keep writing! :D

Aemma SILVER said...
on May. 12 2011 at 5:26 pm
Aemma SILVER, Ellenwood, Georgia

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." -Cicero

It seems like a "death" theme though it is a little ambiguous... I do love this story it has a meaning that most short works don't have or they struggle to express it. You did a fantastic job on this piece. 

MissSMS said...
on Feb. 20 2011 at 12:52 pm
MissSMS, Kevil, Kentucky

“-You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
-What mood is that?
-Last-minute panic.” - Calvin and Hobbes

Totally awesome. It doesn't need a beginning or an end. It works perfectly just like it is, and yet still leaves you hungering for more. Great Job.

StoryWeaver said...
on Jan. 22 2011 at 12:58 pm
StoryWeaver, Alaska

How many slams in an old screen door?
Depends how loud you shut it.
How many slices in a bread?
Depends how thin you cut it.
How much good inside a day?
Depends how good you live 'em.
How much love inside a friend?
Depends how much you give 'em.

This was pretty cool! I would've liked to know what was going on between them, but at the same time I guess it's not quite as important for the story's theme. My eyes were glued to the screen, so keep writing!

Maddz SILVER said...
on Nov. 17 2010 at 5:16 pm
Maddz SILVER, St Georges Basin, Other

Love is patient, love is kind, love makes you slowly lose your mind

It sounds great, yet I am so confused......are we going to find out how the main character got into the position they're in??????

on Sep. 12 2010 at 3:22 pm
Faith.Hope.Love BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone."
Reba McEntire

This piece kept me on the edge of my seat! Keep writing!

aslanrx430 said...
on Jun. 16 2010 at 3:34 pm
This is a really good piece of writing, even if I don't really understand it. (is it a prolouge type thing?) Keep writing!

ILOVEBOOKS said...
on May. 3 2010 at 5:22 pm
sry for my past one, i though tht was like a status on ichat, my bad, it was amazing and like how twilight evolved from a dream, i see a great saga coming from this beautiful piece of work

on May. 3 2010 at 5:20 pm
GO MAXIUM RIDE

on Feb. 26 2010 at 11:58 am
i don'treally get this story but i love the way you express your feelings and transfer them into the story. GREAT JOB!!!!

on Jan. 23 2010 at 6:16 pm
loveandmusic SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey

"If everyone demanded peace instead of a new television set, then there'd be peace." - John Lennon

wow, i REALLY love this. your words are incredible - music when put together. i also like how it's open-ended too; its a little confusing but so awesome (:

on Dec. 22 2009 at 4:45 pm
family_includes_I GOLD, Sciliy, Other

"You can only be young once, but you can always be immature"

i dont get it but judging by your words you've already found your future

on Nov. 30 2009 at 3:28 pm
SonOfApollo GOLD, Katy, Texas
i dont get

but it sounds cool :)

you should make a more detailed version of this

on Nov. 30 2009 at 3:05 am
well, i like your way of words. you are poetic in a sense. and i like how your story narrates. but i don't get it.. peace ^_^ but you certainly have a good future..in writing..

on Nov. 8 2009 at 10:29 pm
ultrabookworm BRONZE, Equestria, Kentucky
Death theme?

hawkfire said...
on Nov. 6 2009 at 3:22 pm
i dont get it but it sounds good