The King and the Dragon | Teen Ink

The King and the Dragon

EXT. COURTYARD OF CASTLE--- DAY
Prince Kinderphum is about to be coroneted on a balcony overlooking the courtyard full of peasants. The crowd gathered below his balcony is unhappy with the selection of their new ruler.
KINDERPHUM

Good morning my dear subjects! What a fantastic day it is to be gathered here together. In celebration of my coronation as your beloved king!
CROWD
Boo!
DEREGNIF
Sire! Sire!
KINDERPHUM
Yes? What is it?
DEREGNIF
Something terrible has happened sire!
KINDERPHUM
What could possibly have gone wrong on such a wondrous day?
He says with exuberance as Deregnif looks as though about to faint
DEREGNIF
The crown sire, the crown has been stolen!
You can see the color drain from Kinderphum’s face as he understands the severity of what Deregnif was saying.
KINDERPHUM
What! How could this have happened? Who could have done such a thing?
DEREGNIF
The dragon Nogard is responsible for the thieving of your crown sire. I saw him with mine own eyes.
Kinderphum looks down with an evil look on his face.
KINDERPHUM
Then off we shall go to retrieve what is rightfully mine.
Deregnif looks shocked
DEREGNIF
Sire? Wouldn’t you rather send someone to retrieve it for you? The dragon Nogard is infamous around the villages as being one of the most heartless killers ever to have set foot on this earth. No one has entered his layer and lived to tell the tale.
KINDERPHUM
This dragon is no match for a great king like I, I will enter his layer and not only demand my crown back but slay this beast. This is not a feat for the weak of heart, that is why I must go myself, no other man has the power to accomplish such a feat as I.
INT. SMALL VILLAGE HOME--- EVENING
Eastly is having dinner with daisy’s father to ask for her hand in marriage. Her father is refusing his proposal due Eastly’s financial situation, or lack there of, when Daisy’s mother comes running in the room in a panic crying incoherently that Daisy’s door was torn off and was no where to be seen. But that she had seen the dragon Nogard flying off with what looked like an unconscious Daisy in his talons. Eastly runs off in a hurry to save his love.

FATHER
I just don’t see how such a marriage would be beneficial to my daughter. I agree you are a good man but I want her to live in a manner to which she is accustomed
EASTLY
I understand your concerns sir, but I love your daughter and do not know what I would do without her
FATHER
If you go and make a name for yourself somewhere and come back just as in love with her as you are now I will have no objections, but under the current circumstances I fear I cannot agree to such a marriage.
Daisy’s mother barges into the room
MOTHER
Hurry, come quick, I fear something terrible has happened!
Daisy’s father jumps out of his seat, almost knocking the table over.
FATHER
What is it? What could possibly cause you to come in such a panic?
MOTHER
Its Daisy, she’s gone!
EASTLY/ FATHER
Gone!
FATHER
What is the meaning of this? How could this have happened?
Daisy’s mother becomes very somber

MOTHER
I know not, all that was seen was a door torn off its hinges and a dragon carrying off a woman in the distance.
EASTLY
You mean?
MOTHER
I’m afraid so, our dear daughter has been ten off by the dread dragon Nogard
Eastly bolts out of the house, heroically leaping onto his stallion riding off in the direction that Nogard flew off into.
EXT. DENSE DARK FOREST--- NIGHT
Flash back to Kinderphum who is fighting his way through a dense dark forest with Deregnif. They stop to hear a sound up ahead and see Nogard fly above them. Then a man on a horse (Eastly) dashes by in hot pursuit of the dragon, causing Kinderphum to pick up his pace, then Kinderphum trips on a root and falls on his face in mud
DEREGNIF
Sire, sire, slow down; these trees are far too close together. If we keep going at this pace we are sure to hurt ourselves
KINDERPHUM
Nonsense, if we are going to reach the dragons lair we must push onward!
Swooshing sound from above
KINDERPHUM
What was that?
DEREGNIF
Sire, look above!
Nogard swooshes past, and not a moment later Eastly rides pas while Kinderphum and Deregnif are distracted by Nogard.
DEREGNIF
Sire, watch out!
Deregnif pushes Kinderphum out of the way of the fast pursuing Eastly
KINDERPHUM
What was that?
DEREGNIF
It would appear we are not the only ones in pursuit of this abdominal dragon
Kinderphum turns around about to run in the direction and comically trips over a root falling of his face.
EXT. BOTTOM OF DRAGONS LAIR--- DAWN
While riding his horse, Eastly is expertly shooting the dragon with his arrows, when the dragon flies to the top of a tall cliff. Eastly quickly dismounts and throws a grappling hook to the ledge and starts climbing. At one point he almost falls but catches himself and contiumes to climb. He makes it to see Nogard sitting calmly at the top with an unconscious Daisy and a sparkling crown. There Nogard explains his fate to defeat his evil twin brother and claim the thrown in order to save the country from the imminent fate of Kinderphum.
NOGARD
Congratulations, you have made it.
EASTLY
(out of breath)
Give me Daisy you beast!
NOGARD
Calm down, she will be returned in good time, but first you must listen to why I have brought you here.
EASTLY
(annoyed)
Okay, fine, what do you want of me?
NOGARD
(face turns suddenly very serious)
As you may know there is a lot of strife in the country about prince Kinderphum becoming king
EASTLY
(impatiently)
Yes, what of it? What have it to do with me?
NOGARD
It has everything to do with you. Do you know who your father is Eastly?
EASTLY
(a little shocked)
No, I have never met him in my life.
NOGARD
You know more than you think, have you ever heard of a man by the name of Evarb?
EASTLY
(shocked)
You don’t mean to say that the late king Evarb is my father do you?
NOGARD
But I do Eastly, when you were but a baby, I myself stole you from your crib one night and gave you to the orphanage

EASTLY
(shocked, appalled, and angered)
You mean to say that all the hardships of my life were because of you? That I could have grown up a prince?
Eastly stands up pulling his sword out
NOGARD
Calm down, and hear me out. You and your brother Kinderphum
EASTLY
(Interrupts)
My brother? Kinderphum?
NOGARD
Yes, your brother, twin brother to be exact. You were both born to queen Aras who had died in childbirth. As for your father, he was a great man, and a great leader, but he was not a great father, I knew this would come to be true and took that chance to steal you away from that life so you could grow to become a great leader, unlike your brother.
EASTLY
(calmer now)
Okay, that’s all fine and dandy, but what do you want me to do about it?
Zoom back to edge of cliff and see Kinderphum heave himself onto the top of the cliff and wonder around following the voices, and is now listening behind a rock.
NOGARD
You see this crown?
(points at crown)
I stole it from his majesty himself, he should be here any moment to reclaim it. And when he does, it is your job to challenge, and defeat him to claim your rightful place as the ruler of this land.
Kinderphum steps of twig
(snap)
NOGARD
Your time has come, now go forth and vanquish your evil foe for the stakes are high if you do not win
Eastly whirls around to find Kinderphum standing there
Kinderphum jumps out from behind the rock and attacks with an overhead slash. Eastly bats the attack aside and counters with a thrust. Kinderphum jumps back to avoid being hit, however, as he does so he realizes his back is against the rock he was hiding behind. Eastly seeing this slashes again, this time scoring a hit on Kinderphum’s leg crippling his movement. Kinderphum tries again with a large sweeping attack which caused Eastly to lose grip on his sword. Eastly dives for the sword into Kinderphum, finishing this mementoes battle.

Eastly, victorious and exhausted by the turn of events, falls to his knees in astonishment just to feel a tender touch on his back. He whirls around ready to attack and sees Daisy standing there worry all over her face.
DAISY
(worried)
Are you alright? What happened? Where is this place?
EASTLY
(stands up gives her a big hug)
Its alright now, everything is going to be alright
(Eastly looks around)
Where has Nogard gone?
DAISY
Who?

EASTLY
Nogard, the dragon who brought us here
DAISY
I know not of who you speak. But we must be gone; this place says nothing for our safety
EASTLY
Just one thing and we will be gone
(goes and picks up a crown)
DAISY
What is that?
EASTLY
(he says with a smile)
Why, this is my crown
DAISY
Your crown?
EASTLY
Yes, for I am the last remaining son of the great king Evarb and it is my duty to take his place as king
Eastly pulls Daisy to the edge of the cliff and they begin their return home.
EXT. COURTYARD OF CASTLE--- DAY
DEREGNIF
Today is a momentous occasion
(pause)
For our great prince has returned to us, not only in full health but as the triumphant of a great battle in which he defeated Kinderphum.
CROWD
(cheering)
Deregnif places crown on Eastly’s head and Eastly stands up in his kingly attire.
EASTLY
Thank you, my good people, I promise to serve you well, but I have some pressing business to attend to.
Eastly grabs Daisy’s hand as they leap off the balcony onto white horses placed in the crowd and trot towards Daisy’s house as the crowd parts for them.
EXT. DAISY’S HOUSE--- DAY
Daisy and Eastly ride in on their white horses and royal attire
DAISY’S DAD
Well will you look at that
EASTLY
I have come to ask, again, this time not as the farm boy Eastly, but as the king of our great nation, for Daisy’s hand in marriage.
DAISY’S DAD
Well I guess I have no objection any longer.
INT. CHURCH/WEDDING CHAPPEL--- DAY
PRIEST
Mawiage is what bwings us together today. Wove, twue wove… so tweasure your woves forever.
Eastly and Daisy stand there awkwardly
PRIEST
Mawiage… the bwessed awwangement, that deweam wiffim a dweam.
Zoom in on Eastly who’s eyes catch something big and dragon like, flying outside the chapel window.
PRIEST
Ven wuv, twoo wuv, wiw fowww you fowever
EASTLY
I do
DAISY
I do
EXT. OUTSIDE CHAPEL--- DAY
People are slowly leaving the chapel as Eastly steals away to follow the dragon once again to behind the church
EASTLY
What are you doing here?
NOGARD
I am here to congratulate you
EASTLY
Thank you, none of this would have been possible without your help, if you can call it that.

NOGARD
I am glad that my intrusion into your life has turned things for the better.
EASTLY
Aye, it has
NOGARD
However there is a reason for my presence here
EASTLY
(what now look on his face)
What?
NOGARD
There is on last adventure I desperately need you to go on. It all starts with this.
(hands gift)
EASTLY
What is it?
NOGARD
(looks excited, like a little kid)
Open it and find out what lies ahead
Eastly opens the present to find what looks to be a strange contraption
EASTLY
What is this?
NOGARD
A cappuccino machine!

This is a screen play I wrote for my creative writing class.