The Heart of a Lamb Chapter Two-Unraveling | Teen Ink

The Heart of a Lamb Chapter Two-Unraveling

By Your_Beautiful_Lies SILVER, Cairo, New York
Your_Beautiful_Lies SILVER, Cairo, New York

"Expirence is a brutal teacher, but we learn. My God do we learn."~C.S.Lewis

OR
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wind, Sand and Stars, 1939, translated from French by Lewis Galantière

As I trudged back down the hill Mark had guided me up I was speechless, How and why? Was all that was running through my mind. How could my so called parents not tell me? Why would they even need these Saviors? None of it made sense to me. I crept trough and was surprised to find the lights out and the house empty. That was when it finally hit me, If my parents weren’t really MY parents, then it didn’t matter if I came home at 11:30 at night or not. “Helloooo!” I yelled as I walked through the house. Not one single answer called back to me, I smirked. I had the entire house to myself, no parents and no older brother, I was in heaven.

Everywhere I went I was reminded of the family I thought was mine, of the parents I thought were mine and of the life I thought was mine. Everything was a lie… I ran past the pictures, all the memories with tears blurring my eyes and went into my bedroom. I grabbed a few things I would need, brush, some outfits, bows and other things for my hair and an extra pair of converse shoes just in case. I threw everything into a backpack and left the house, I bite my tongue as I walked down the driveway to keep myself from looking back, I knew I would cry if I did, How could this just be dumped on me, and why now? I was 14, in my freshman year, I had lived fourteen years with these people, these people that raised me and loved me like I was their own.

When I was far from my home, from my town I finally looked back and saw someone in the distance, someone watching me, I squinted as I looked. “Mark?” I called out to the figure in the distance; the figure turned and walked off in the direction I had just come from. Whoever it was, obviously had never be taught about manners.

“Annabelle! Annabelle!” I groaned and awoke to someone screaming my name. I had fallen asleep in an old, empty, rundown motel; I rubbed my eyes and looked at the figure leaning over me. “Mark?” I asked as my eyes focused. “Yes Annabelle, I’m glad you remembered my name,” He rolled his eyes. “Why did you leave?” “Well you never told me I couldn’t!” I retorted. “I told you I would visit you tonight, which meant you were to stay there until further notice. Annabelle weather you may have know this or not, being a savior isn’t as ‘Safe’ as it may sound, there are more people who want you dead than alive…” I gasped in horror at Mark’s words, being a ‘savior’ made me think everyone loved you, but then I remembered that with love there is always hate.

Mark grabbed my backpack from the floor and opened the door. “Lets go.” “What…?” I looked at him, my mouth agape, he had to be kidding! “Go? Go where? I’m not going back to that town, I’m just going to move on and forget everything you ever told me!” Mark looked at me sternly and grabbed my arm, pulling me out of the rundown motel. “You, Have, No, Choice!” He said through clenched teeth. “I am the only one who can save you, Annabelle.” I roughly pulled my arm from his grasp. “Fine.” I said and walked to his car. “You don’t have to be rude about it.” I said and hopped into his car, slamming the door behind me.

He climbed into the car and looked at me. “Annabelle, I’m not trying to upset you, believe me I’m not , but I’m trying to protect you , to keep you out of harm’s way.” His eyes looked sad, yet there was anger in them. I could tell that his words were the truth, that everything he was saying was from his heart. I stayed in silence as we drove back to my little community, we passed the sign outside “Now Entering Old Brook Community” and we passed some of my friends but I did not say anything. Mark occasionally looked over at me, but I stared out the window most of the time.

Chapter two has arrived! Umm my storys and stuff will be few and far between school is rough at the moment >.<