Eternal Night : Chapter 8 | Teen Ink

Eternal Night : Chapter 8

By SerraAngel GOLD, Buchanan, Michigan
SerraAngel GOLD, Buchanan, Michigan

"we have nothing to fear but fear itself".

Chapter 8

The night of the Fall Dance was dark and stormy. When I finished getting ready I heard a knock on the door. “I got it!” I called to my mom. I opened the door and saw that Cameron came to take me to the dance.

“My lady your carriage awaits.” He gestured to the black --- parked in my driveway.

“Have fun.” My mom called “Be back by nine.”

The Fall Dance was being held in our schools gymnasium. When we got there it was extremely crowded. Alison and Cody got there before us though. Alison was wearing her purple knee-length sleeveless dress. When I spotted them they were talking to Dominic and his date, Kelly. Kelly and Cody were talking to each other for a while, then set off on there own through the crowd. Dominic and Alison stood silently for a moment before Dominic asked “So…do you want to dance?”
Alison answered “Sure.” And they began toward the dance floor. I looked around and noticed Cameron’s sister, Lily, talking to someone. The girl she was talking to looked worried. I saw Katlyne wearing a floor length black and white dress. I looked over and saw Rebekah wearing her floor length red dress. Blake and Rebekah began dancing. When a slow song started Cameron and I began dancing too. While dancing I saw Valerie in the corner, with her two friends, glaring at me. I smiled and continued to dance.

“Come with me. There’s something I want to show you.” Cameron said, before gliding me across the dance floor. “Close your eyes. I want to surprise you.” I closed my eyes and followed the sound of his voice. I heard the soft ‘click’ of a door opening. “Ok … now open your eyes.” He instructed. I opened my eyes and found myself staring up at the dark- blue night sky, speckled with gleaming stars. But the most breath-talking of all was the full moon.

“It’s beautiful.” I gasped.

“Not as beautiful as you.” He answered. Usually to me that would have sounded a little corny, but as I searched his shining green eyes, I knew he truly meant it.

But the moment was destroyed, only a few seconds after he said that, by someone yelling “Help! Can someone help me?!?” We ran to see what was going on. The voice was coming from out side and we followed it until we saw a crowd.

There was a boy just standing there in the middle of the crowd. “I came out side to get some air when I saw a girl on the ground and she wasn’t breathing or moving, so I went to go get help and when I came back she wasn’t there.” He insisted.

“Elle I need to talk to you about something.” Cameron said. We walked to the hall way outside of the gymnasium.

“What do you want to talk about?” I asked him.

“The girl who was outside she wasn’t…human.” He said finally.

“What do you mean?” I asked a little confused.

“The girl outside was a vampire…and I know because I’m a vampire.” He answered.

“What? Cameron you’re not making any sense.” I said.

“Elle, I’m a Protector. Protector’s are vampires that are assigned to a person or town whenever a vampire is seen.” He replied, “Dominic, Lily, and I are vampires. Your friend Victoria is one too.”

“What about my other friends?” I asked.

“Katlyne and Rebekah aren’t vampires.” He said. I relaxed, and he must have noticed because he got nervous. “They’re werewolves.”

“What about Alison?” I dared myself to ask. I couldn’t imagine her keeping a secret from me.

“She hasn’t told you yet? Alison is a witch.” He answered. I started felling dizzy. “Are you ok?” He asked.

I looked at the school clock on the wall behind us. “Yeah, but it’s almost nine.” I replied.

He looked at the clock “I should probably take you home.”

We were in his car, and the streets lit up with traffic lights and flashing signs. But all I could think about was what Cameron said Alison being a witch and him being a vampire. The next day I was going to talk to Alison.