Against All Odds | Teen Ink

Against All Odds

By JackTheCrazyNinja BRONZE, White Plains, New York
JackTheCrazyNinja BRONZE, White Plains, New York

Eat your veggies fatty.

Has your friend ever been captured by a Cyclops? Percy’s has, in the fantasy adventure book “Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Sea Of Monsters” by Rick Riordan. In this story Rick demonstrates team work and determination with a spark of humor. In the book, Percy has one goal but so many obstacles. One problem after another Percy faces to try and reach his goals. Every time he completes one task, there is another one coming his way. From saving Grover from the Cyclops to getting the golden fleece, this book is truly a good read.

During a school dodge ball game, Percy is interrupted by fireball throwing monsters. For safety Percy goes back to Camp Half-Blood, and from there he is sent on a mission to get the golden fleece to save the camp from destruction of Luke. He finds out that his friend Grover has the fleece but is captured by a partially blind Cyclops. Now, Percy, Annabeth and Thalia have to cross the sea of monsters (to humans, it’s known as The Bermuda Triangle) and get Grover back from the Cyclops. Then save the camp with the Golden fleece. On their way there, they run into some trouble. One of Percy’s old friend’s, Luke is trying to revive Zeus’s father and take over the Camp Half-Blood and then the world! On their way to the sea of monsters they run into a girl named Clarisse La Rue who takes them on her ship to the entrance of the Sea Of Monsters where they meet the Kraken. Behind the Kraken there is Grover with the fleece.
Rick Riordan’s writing captivates me. He makes a boy that is wimpy and weak to a hero and a savior. When I read, I never know what happens next he has so many twists and turns in his writing.

In his book Rick Riordan shows that you can do any thing you want to do if you try and work hard enough. Percy accomplishes all of these things even though he is dyslexic and has ADHD.

This would be a good book for preteens who like mythology and adventure with some humor. Rick captivates the reader making them never want to put the book down always leaving you with a question. He shows the true meaning of friendship and determination. Percy doesn’t stop at anything to help his friends and the camp. He goes though a long journey with adventure and excitement when he faces the Kraken, sneaks away from a Cyclops and fights a Greek God.

on Sep. 13 2010 at 6:28 am
NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

Er... sorry to be  a damper, but Thalia doesn't help get the fleece.  When Percey finally gets the fleece and brings it back to camp, Thalia is released from her tree-form.

on Jun. 22 2010 at 8:46 am
JustKeepRowin SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"Peace begins with a smile."-Mother Teresa

I love these books!!!