The Accomplice Chapter 6 | Teen Ink

The Accomplice Chapter 6

By mmerino GOLD, Littleton, Colorado
mmerino GOLD, Littleton, Colorado

Their first meeting was a disaster. All three were fighting and arguing about the best strategy to break into the jail. Marion, to Alex’s surprise, actually proved to be helpful. Her knowledge about the town was precious information. One mistake meant all their lives. Robin thought it would be best if they stormed the dungeon and broke out as many prisoners as possible. Marion agreed until Alex pointed out that they would not be able to release enough prisoners to even try to defeat the guards before the guards stopped them. Then Marion suggested that they create a distraction outside the prison so the guards would leave their posts long enough for them to set free some prisoners. Then Robin reminded them that there were many guards so only a few would probably leave. Alex believed that the best way to get them out would be by doing it in a half legal way.

“How are we going to get them out in any way, shape, or form legally?” Marion said, trying to make Alex feel like an idiot.

“Well, think about it. What is the one condition that they will let the prisoners go?” Alex prompted her companions.

“Uhhhh, if they escape. And that is exactly what we are trying to do!” Marion said impatiently.

“Wrong. John said that the prisoners may leave if they are able to pay off their debt. So that’s exactly what we are going to do.” Alex reminded them as Marion blushed a crimson red.

“Even if we had money, there’s not enough money in the country to free all those slaves!” Marion said, trying to redeem herself.

“Wrong again. My goodness Marion! Can you please try to keep up with the discussion?” Alex smirked. “No, there is exactly enough money in the castle. So what do we do? We rob the castle. We then find a way to give the money to the prisoners so they can pay off all of their debt.” Robin had been quiet for a while; this was an uncommon bliss considering almost everything coming out of his mouth had about declaring how Marion was so brilliant!

“But then they will simply be recaptured and put back in prison. And where does that leave us!” Robin spoke.

“Well, do you have a better idea!?” Alex questioned. She had been even snappier at him than ever since their dispute in the forest.

“Of course! See if we free some of the prisoners then we can take the guards out and…”

“Not! That idea! We are not making any progress.” Alex sighed. “Meet here in two days and everyone come up with at least one new plan.” All agreed and they left. Alex was so absorbed in her thoughts that she forgot to go back to her cave and followed Robin in silence back to the Monastery. It was not awkward… it was simply, peaceful. The silence was not something that needed to be filled; it was just a silent agreement of understanding passing between them.

Alex had mostly gotten over their argument but there was still resentment about everything he had done and said, sitting in a hole in her heart. If he had said those exact same words a year ago, it wouldn’t have bothered Alex half as much as it did now. It was all because of Marion. She just couldn’t seem to help but ruin Alex’s entire life. Alex thought she had it all planned out. The person she would marry (Robin) the place they would call home (the abandoned house on the side of the road) and the kind of life they would live. Now with Marion in the picture, things just got a whole lot more complicated. The thing that really bugged her most about the whole thing was that she knew this would happen. It’s exactly the kind of thing that is predicted to occur in her life. Just when things seemed simplest and happiest, something would come along and destroy all hopes of simplicity and happiness. Alex regretted the day that they met Marion. She often thought back and wondered exactly what kind of a life they would be living now if Marion hadn’t stepped into the picture.

Robin still felt very guilty about what he had said, although he couldn’t understand why Alex wouldn’t get over it. It had been a couple of days and it still wasn’t blowing over. He knew he wasn’t being fair though. Every time Marion and Alex started to quarrel, Robin only took Marion’s side. He was partially doing this in order to remind Alex that she really needed to let go of her grudge against Marion. He just didn’t get why Alex was so opposed to Marion. Marion was sweet, and caring, and beautiful, and just an incredible young woman. While Alex still acted like she was either a four year old, or like his mother. Robin couldn’t decide which one he disliked more. Marion was perfect and Alex was probably just jealous that she wasn’t as gorgeous as Marion was. It was kind of funny how different, yet similar the two were. While Marion’s beauty was incomparable, Alex had this allure about her that pulled you in and make you want to know more about this dark hair, piercing blue eyed girl. Marion’s prettiness was just there, plain and simple; like what you saw was what you got (which was a lot Robin had noticed). But still, he knew he could never feel the same way about Alex as he did about Marion. While he had tried to deny it, he knew in his heart that some minuscule part of him still wished that Marion had never existed into their lives and that he and Alex were the only ones he had to worry and care for.

I really want to build up the love triangle between Robin, Alex and Marion. It makes the whole story a lot more intense and interesting!