One Day Can Change the Rest | Teen Ink

One Day Can Change the Rest

January 4, 2010
By Rachel1 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Rachel1 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My Gold Star shift was finally over, and as usual I went to go sit in a booth to finish up my homework. My eyes scattered around the room; I quickly realized that there was only one booth left. I didn’t want to sit in that dreaded booth, but I knew if I didn’t, I wouldn’t have a place to do my homework. I slowly crept over; I was a predator afraid of its prey. I tried to focus my attention on something else, but unfortunately my curiosity overtook me and I looked out the window knowing what I might see. I suddenly remembered that day which haunts me still to think about.

It all started when my best friend Sadie said to me, “Sasha do you want to go to King’s Top tomorrow?”

“No, you know how fearful I am of roller coasters.” I replied.

“Come on you are fifteen, almost sixteen. It’s time for you to ride a rollercoaster.”

“I don’t-”

“Please, please!” Sadie interrupted.

“I guess, but I’m not going on all the rides so don’t be disappointed.” Looking back on this moment made it hard for me to not to cry. Why had I been such a pushover.

“Okay go and sit in the passenger’s seat.” Sadie said, as she then ran off to get her keys for her luxurious sports car. I was always so jealous she could drive. I looked down at my legs and the memory only stung me more, but once again I continued to play it back. She careened around the streets almost skimming a semi truck. I was relaxed once we got to the amusement park, but little did I know that wasn’t what injured me.

“Here we are.” Sadie acknowledged. I looked up, and saw the menacing rollercoaster; a monster in disguise. It clearly distinguished itself from the other rides. The ride was absolutely immense. It reached 400 feet! “Don’t worry Sasha; we’ll start at kiddy land.” Sadie said rolling her eyes.

“Very funny.” I said.
We walked on and rode many different type of rides. I even rode Drop Zone! I was having a great time until Sadie said, “We are going to take things up a notch. Now Sasha you know I didn’t bring you here just to ride baby rides.”

“But we haven’t gone on baby rides.”

“Yeah but we haven’t gone on any big rides.” Sadie then paused. “Were going!” Sadie pulled me and ran. I tried to pull away.

“STOP! Really, this isn’t funny Sadie.” I cried.

“You will thank me later. You don’t know what you are missing.”

“Oh, yes I do.” I whispered to myself in a soft cry. I tried to pull away; she didn’t give. Sadie was always strong but I had no idea that she was that strong. She dragged me along, sprinting remarkably fast. We were then in line. Out of breath, I was trying to explain to her why I couldn’t go on the ride.

“Sadie…please…understand I…I…can’t go on this… ride …or ..or-” I was interrupted. I bent over with my hands resting on my knees, trying to catch my breath.

“WE NEED TWO PEOPLE. DOES ANY ONE WANT TO GO NEXT?” A rollercoaster worker yelled out.

“WE WILL!” Sadie screamed with excitement. She grabbed my hand and pulled me up, like a mother would do to her child. Now we were up by the ride.

“No…no…Sadie… you go…I’ll stay back.” I chocked, still gasping for air.

“How lucky are we getting to sit in the back seat and we hardly had to wait in line.” Sadie mentioned, oblivious to my condition.

A rollercoaster worker assisted us to our seats. I tried to tell him, but I was just too breathless to speak. I was on the ride.

The ride activated. It gradually clicked up the hill, each click closer to my fate. It wasn’t until I got to the top that I knew what I had gotten myself into. The front of the rollercoaster had met its highest point and was on its way down whipping us down the hill. I then felt what I knew would approach me. My legs impinged against the bar, snapping both my femurs in half. I shrieked with utter pain and pure horror. It was like a baseball bat with spikes on the end was swung at my legs. Due to the excruciating pain, I was knocked out cold.
What felt like minutes later, I woke up in the hospital. Two hours had gone by. When I was knocked out of consciousness, I suffered whip lash due to lack of support for my neck. I was paralyzed from my hips down. What my friend didn’t know was that I had osteoporosis at an extremely young age which is profoundly rare which caused my bones to be more prone to breaking on roller coasters. Since that ride was elevated so high and I was in the back seat, it caused an even greater risk. The forces of the rollercoaster were so substantial it broke both my femurs causing me to be knocked unconscious from the horrific pain.
Now I am in a wheelchair. As if that wasn’t a big enough reminder of that day, I work a mile away from Kings Top and can see the top of the rollercoaster almost every day. Looking out that window gives me such grave anxiety. I slid out of the booth and into the wheelchair. “It’s been 10 years and that memory still haunts me.” I whispered to myself.