The Dungeon Master

We stare in wonder as the dice of chance tumble through the air, thrown by the hands of the Dungeon Master. He leads by his own set of rules, eve in our objection, and we must play along. It is this that makes us forget he is often no more certain than we are of what to do, or what lies around the next dim dungeon corner. The dice continue to fall as we silently wait in anticipation. Even his eyes gleam with curiosity, half-hidden behind tangles of dark hair and a facade of omniscience, seen through not by the wielders of simply weapons, but of knowledge. To the rest, he knows them all well, he has been blessed with the gift of intelligence, perhaps similar to that of gods. But, as far as the Dungeon Master is concerned, the only "god" is the dice, cold and random, but almost effortless to manipulate. With a dull thud they hit the bored and roll once more: fate has been cast and, with a slight grin, the Dungeon Master states the terms.

robinsonc said...
I do like this short story about the game "Dungeons and Dragons". This story is very descriptive on how the concept of the game. Mostly the writting is perfect except a couple of mistakes. I agree with Forever Scornful about needing to determine the characters, plot, setting, ect. I also found board being spelled wrong. I do think you could descibe farther in the rules so people unstand the game more. One other problem is that you started a sentence with ABFONSY in the sentence w... (more »)

Forever Scornful said...
Your writing is fine. There is only one obvious flaw. You're much like me, in that you care about what other people say about your writing. Perhaps it's just something - but you have potential. On that note, don't go off and write a quick story. You have to determine the plot, characters, events, and setting. It takes time, I've only written a few good stories in my time (which I will keep unknown) I too, play dungeons and dragons. My friends and brothers and I have a massive... (more »)

UlteriorMotives This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
>_< Darn. I did spell it wrong. Heheh, I need to be more careful...

potterlight said...
Oct. 1, 2009 at 4:32 am
I remember the Dungeons and Dragons show that aired in the 1980's. There was someone called the Dungeon Master too!

J D. said...
wow i rely liked the description! very nice! it almost made me feel like i was a player of this game. i could see every thing in my miind so perfect!

I 'm usually better at describing emotions and thoughts, rather than...rather than actual physical appearances and activities, so I'm VERY glad that you were able to picture it perfectly. Care to rate? =)

felipe#1 said...
Sept. 29, 2009 at 11:59 am
Your story was very descriptive and intresting, it drew us in with the title. My favorite line was {With a dull thud they hit the bored and roll once more: fate has been cast and, with a slight grin, the Dungeon Master states the terms. }

Haha, that's my favorite line, too. Would you like to rate? =)

pepe5769 said...
Sept. 29, 2009 at 11:56 am
I loved the way you took an every day object like a game and turned it into a story with deep ideas and a plot

That was my goal. ;)

nmoye23 said...
Sept. 29, 2009 at 9:18 am
This is a very discriptive but complicated piece of writing. It had a very nice introduction. Good Job!

I'm very honored to receive your comment. The introduction just sorta came to me, and I rolled from there. Care to rate it? =)