Vengeance | Teen Ink

Vengeance

By ParkerRobert_B SILVER, Greer, South Carolina
ParkerRobert_B SILVER, Greer, South Carolina

“Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see” -Mark Twain

The she-wolf ran through the woods, her amber eyes locked on the vulnerable prey. How stupid it is for you to be out this hour of night she thought. The animal stirred, likely sensing her presence. It craned its neck back, observing the dark surroundings. Unbothered, it returned to grazing. She moved carefully, making sure not to step on any stray branches or twigs. In a sudden, violent motion, she leaped through the air, landing only inches from her next meal. Before the animal had time to react, she snatched it by the neck, refusing to let go. Ah, the sweet taste of blood she thought. As she continued feasting on the dead carcass, a howl in the distance caught her attention. When she finished, she licked her lips, now wet with warm blood. Making sure no one was watching, she howled in return, the sound echoing through the trees. It came from deep in her throat, a sound she had perfected over the years. A full, yellow moon hung in the night sky. This common sight provided Lena some measure of comfort. Yes, Lena, that was her name. From the howl of her friend, she could tell something was wrong. By now, she had already begun her trek towards the cave, making sure to keep heightened senses. One thing she had learned since birth was to always be alert and ready to fight. This mindset had saved her on multiple occasions.

Lena made her way up the winding mountainside, beginning to worry if something was seriously wrong. Throughout the trip to the cave, she would hear sporadic cries. They were faint but still existed. As she approached the shady cave, this sound amplified, causing her to wince in pain. With her back hunched, she crept in, taking in the fresh smell of blood, much like earlier. An exasperated bark escaped her father’s mouth and all she could see was his mangled body. Scarlet red blood soaked into the dry dirt. She fell to the ground, overcome with shock. Frantically, she yelled out, hoping someone, anyone would come to help. For a brief second, she looked back towards the cave’s entrance, not expecting to be met with such a horrifying sight. Her father’s friend, Ramos, closed in menacingly. His coarse fur and jagged teeth made him the epitome of ugliness. Outside, Lena could hear a clap of thunder and heavy drops of rain began leaking through a hole in the cave’s roof. She didn’t even need to wonder who had killed her father. She knew it was Ramos: that sneaky, jealous bastard. Her father, the Alpha, had been savagely murdered and she refused to stand down. Puffing out her chest and digging her paws into the ground, she readied herself to fight, just like her parents had taught her years ago. With a swift motion, she lunged forward, pinning the large wolf down. His bright red eyes made her shudder. Caught off guard, Ramos was able to flip her over, clasping her throat in his rough paw. Gasping for air, Lena summoned all the strength she was capable of and broke free of his restraint.

As she exited the cave into the crisp night air, she could see a throng of wolves gathered by a large boulder. Each one stared at her intensely, a few letting out howls that served to warn others of the impending showdown. Turning back to the cave, she saw Ramos slowly coming into the light, a terrifying grin plastered across his face. Lena’s mother, Sabella, nudged her as if saying: please don’t fight, you could get killed! Disregarding her mother’s pleas, Lena began to circle Ramos, trying her best to intimidate him. This did little though because he just stared at her with an amused look on his face. Without any warning, Ramos rammed his bulky body into Lena, slamming her onto the muddy ground. For a few seconds, she drifted in and out of consciousness, only hearing the faint cries of the wolves around her. Without hesitation, her body picked itself back up, now more determined than ever. Just as Ramos was about to walk away victorious, she ran towards him full-speed, slashing her sharp claws into his face. He stumbled back, surprised by the she-wolf’s strength. Behind Lena, her mother and about 5 other wolves assembled in a triangular formation.

In the corner of Lena’s eye, she could see a steep drop off, an abyss of nothingness. This is where he belongs she thought. Ramos made multiple attempts to regain his strength but failed. The group of wolves huddled around him, ferociously clawing and biting at him. When he became just a hunk of meat, Lena grabbed him by the neck and dragged him towards the edge of the cliff. She nearly slipped but regained her balance. Jagged rocks and sharp thorns were ready to greet Ramos on his way down. After she shoved his body with great force, it finally gave way, falling into the pitch black. The moon lingered in the sky, still in its full glory.

The customary tradition after a chief died was to honor them. Lena’s father was pulled out of the cave and placed near a small flower bush. The wolves, even some tiny pups, gathered around to mourn the death of their beloved leader. They all howled once more, and Lena closed her eyes, imagining what it would have been like to say goodbye to her dear father before he died. Then she had a thought: her father would be proud of her for defending the pack. She adored her father and she had avenged him.

This is a story I wrote for fun. I tried to mix in fantasy elements with a lot of action. I hope you enjoyed reading this. If so, please leave a comment telling me what you think. Thank you!

@starfeather I appreciate the feedback. Thank you. I see your comments on other people’s posts. Thanks for being such an active part of this community 🙂

starfeather PLATINUM, Olathe, Kansas

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA- to the stars, through difficulties.

Love the action! One note is you might want to put a comma after Lena's thoughts in italics. But it is a great story and especially speaks to me because wolves are my favorite animals! Keep writing!