The Amazing Life of James Smith | Teen Ink

The Amazing Life of James Smith

By ckrulewitch BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
ckrulewitch BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

They followed James, as he slowly walked towards the edge of the cliff. As he walked he felt a chill on the back of his neck. Then he heard a loud sound, that  sounded like a gunshot. They were gaining on him. He started running. Right when they were about to get him, he jumped.

2 YEARS EARLIER

Hello, my name is James Smith, and this is my journal/diary:

Log 1, December 17, 2016.

Today, I interviewed for three more jobs, still waiting to hear back from the past seventy-six. I started this journal because, frankly, I am very bored with no job and no hobbies. I also went to the gym for the first time in seven years today; it felt terrible because I am out of shape. Anyway, this log will keep me occupied while I look for a job. Tomorrow, I have an interview with a big corporate company that sells technology. It’s called Orange. Apparently, this job could be a very good opportunity, at least that’s what my mom says. It’s getting late, I have to go to bed.

Log 32, January 18, 2017.

It’s officially been a month since my last interview. After the incident, I decided to stop interviewing. Today, I got three letters from my past interviews, all of them denied me for some dumb excuse. One of them said it was because I drove a motorcycle. Another said it was because I did not wear any cologne. Because of all this I decided to start my own business. I am going to design and create technology and sell it to the highest bidder. I know it’s going to be hard, but I feel like I will be able to do this.

Log 50, February 1, 2017.

It’s been eighteen days since I decided to build a business. It’s been hard to find an investor, but I found one. My investor won’t tell me his name, but he is giving me half a million dollars. Now that I have enough money, I started my first prototype. It will be a computer that can fold into your pocket. I will be

Log 51, February 3, 2017. I have been attacked! Two days ago someone broke in and knocked me out. That is the reason I did not finish my log two days ago and why I didn’t have one yesterday. After they knocked me out I was robbed of everything but my journal. Altogether, I lost the equivalent of half a million dollars They even took my rough prototypes of the foldable computer. I will tell my investor tomorrow, and I don’t know if it is going to go well. I am going to have to start working again.

Log 412, February 4, 2018.

I have given up on my business, with no money to make any of my creations, I cannot keep it going. The reason I have no money is because I had to use the money my investor gave me to replace what was stolen. After meeting with my investor a year ago, I found out that he/she (still unknown) planned this and paid me what the items they were going to steal cost. After hearing this news I was so devastated that I sat in my apartment and did nothing for a whole week. Then I sold my blueprints and started interviewing for more jobs. I have three interviews tomorrow.

Log 725, December 15, 2018.

I have finally settled into my job as a electronics designer and met everybody who works with me. There are a couple of people who have been acting a little weird. I even noticed someone following me yesterday. The person following me was wearing a hat and sunglasses, they were very creepy. I like my job very much and hope these creeps don’t ruin the situation I am currently in. Another thing I forgot to write earlier was that my boss offered me the opportunity to go on a business trip that is close to the Grand Canyon. I am very excited about it and hope to be able to see it. Unfortunately, that is all I can write because there is some top secret information during the trip and if I tell you I could get fired and maybe even killed.

That was the last log ever written by James Smith. It was not until five years after his death, the police finally found out what happened. He had been chased by people who wanted him to create new tech and who wanted top secret information. Because of this he decided to end his life, which saved many people. Unfortunately, we are unable to say why. The end.