Adventure on Paradise? | Teen Ink

Adventure on Paradise?

By 23bstuart BRONZE, Fruit Heights, Utah
23bstuart BRONZE, Fruit Heights, Utah

Wait what. I sprung up to the taste of gritty sand in my mouth. Did I just awake? This is the most cliché thing in the world. I’m on a large piece of land with a large beach. “Orff Arafa” I suddenly heard from ten feet away. I looked over to see my dog muffin in a pet safe backpack. But why would he be here? His little fur was pooled upwards as if he had fallen down from a high place. Judging by the way I saw him though made him look as though he did not fall. But me having a scrape on my face from the sand stung painfully like ten beestings on my face. I needed to find fresh water to wash my face. I also needed it for my dog muffin. I rushed to the thickly dese palm forest to find a stream heading downwards. I got so exited I had almost left Muffin. I went back to grab the Puppy carrier and back to the stream. I washed my face to a greater sting. I looked into the stream to see it had led to the ocean. Luckily after a minute my face was okay. I looked into the water one last time when I saw myself in a large 90’s jumpsuit.

What!? I look so ugly. I ripped it off to see normal casual clothes underneath. A cotton tee shirt and khaki pants. I stuffed the insulated jumpsuit into the dog backpack pocket to find three granola bars and a dog bone. For the rest of the day I went back to my awakening spot and scoped the rest of the beach. On my beach hunt discovery, I saw some pretty interesting stuff. I found out the piece of land was a large island. I also discovered two large coconuts. I tied them up in my jumpsuit and attached it to my back. I continued my walk on the warm beach until I came upon a ripped piece of nylon fabric. It was attached to some deadwood washed up on shore. It had several seams in it. I picked up the fabric of what looked of a 1\3-yard length. Seeing the most beautiful sunset reminded me and my dog we needed to get back to the place we stared. I thought it was too late, so I set up a base camp by the beach. I built a sand barrier with sharp rocks and sticks to keep the bugs and critters out.

I got on my sand bed to eat a granola bar. I opened the package and downed the nasty expired bar. I gave a fourth of it to my dog. I covered my bed with my jumpsuits and laid my coconuts by my bed. I used the jumpsuit as a blanket. I had a peaceful sleep on the sun warmed sand. I awoke to the sound of ocean waves hitting my feet. Muffin was afraid of them and was on my head when I woke up. I had forgot the tide was going to rise.

I packed up camp and decided what had to be done. I was going to explore the jungle. I entered in after eating a half granola bar. I gave the other half to muffin. On our trek we saw birds of paradise and many creatures. The most exotic one may have been a small monkey or a baby toucan. Muffin and I reached the base of a mountain. Not having anything better to do we climbed the steep mountain. The mountain was also densely wooded. What caught my eye was lava rocks everywhere? Could it be a volcano? Either way I was up for the adventure. Muffin was getting tired, so I decided to put him in the pet backpack. The mountain wasn’t that big as it took us about one hour to reach the top.

At the top I had discovered a large body of water. It looked like a lake. The top had a great view of the ovular shaped island. After a long walk I needed some of that cool refreshing water on my red burned skin. Though I had never gotten burs to peel, I always got a little cherry red on my face. I reached in to the crystal-clear water to feel a sharp pain in my hand. The water was perfectly warm. Though it was the exact opposite thing I needed on the island, I jumped for joy when I discovered it was a natural hot spring. The day was almost over as I headed down the rocky mountain. When I went back to my little beach camp to find the ants on the island had gotten to my last granola bar. It must have fell out of my pocket when I stared exploring the island. That night I couldn’t sleep. I had no food in my stomach, and to make matters worse I felt all alone. The only thing that could comfort me was my little pooch muffin. Lots of deep questions pulsed through my mind. Was there anyone here? What happened to my family and friends? Why am I here? How did I get here? It was too much to handle. I wept in bed all alone on this peaceful island. At first, I enjoyed the quiet. Now it was too quiet to handle. I didn’t have my phone or anything of that nature.

I awoke to my little cream and tan dog licking my feet. The tide wasn’t as big as yesterday. I thought I needed a little swim to cheer up muffin and I. I took of most of my clothes as I plunged into the water. The water was nice and refreshing. I had hardly notice but muffin was enjoying himself to. He wat on the sandy shore smiling as the waves touched his little paws. He didn’t like full body swimming. But he truly loved basking in the sun as the mist sprinkled him.

The fun had to end though. I hadn’t eaten since yesterday’s breakfast. I remembered a skill I had taught myself. I was surfing YouTube when I found a how to peel a coconut video. I got one of the coconuts I had left by my bed and followed the instructions to the best of my ability. I had forgot most of them, so it was a really tough challenge. As I bashed against the coconut my little finger got into the way. I hit it with the rock and part of it was chipped, and now bleeding. Some oozy pus followed along with the shock that had set in. All of the sudden my body went numb. I couldn’t feel anything. I screamed but nobody heard. I cried in almost a trance, but that’s all I remember.

In a cold sweat u suddenly woke up on earthy jungle dirt. I couldn’t have come here on my own. When out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving. It rustled in the bushes as it approached. I got a better look at it. I realized it was a human. “ahhhhhhhhh,” I screamed, in a panicked rush I ran for my life before running into a sharp pain in my chest. I looked down at my chest as u saw blood dripping down my chest.

I fell to the ground shaking holding my chest. I looked up at the devilish man and screamed for all my worth. I thought that was the last chance I had to say anything. The pain was so bad I was panting like a dog on a hot summers’ day. But right before my eyes the man collapsed. He was the man hiding in the bushes ready to attack me. But just then another man came and jolted the man in the chest with a homemade battery shock looking device. I stared at the man who had just stabbed me as he coughed up blood.

The man who had shocked me took me back to his home where two others greeted my arrival. They tried to talk to me, but I didn’t want them to. I couldn’t talk. I muttered,

“my chest”

They looked at me like I was a mad man. But soon put a glowing oracle on my chest. I watched the magic unfurl as the cloaked men chanted some weird spell. What in the world. I couldn’t believe this. After the spell was done my chest was healed. All that was left was a large scar on my chest. My shirt was torn for some reason, but instead of my body was now stronger. Soon my thoughts were interrupted by the people’s word

“you must go, here is your dog”

I responded a grateful” thanks”

The shortest on of the trio uttered, “that man, he was once one of us. But he turned away to kill you. He is a mad man. You’re the reason we found him. You fainted, he picked you up and hid you. We soon followed your dog to you. He lead us there. That evil man Takkallla forgot your dog. Oh, sorry for the rude introduction. The name is Noan”, he spoke as he pulled of his cloak.

The tallest 6-foot looking man spoke,” my name is Hechsa”

The average looking one pulled of her cloak to reveal her face and said,” I’m Yatu”

I was shocked Yatu was a girl. Yatu later explained she was 13. Her brother Hechsa said he was 16, and Noan was 10. They told me I had to go, and they would try to feed me as I was recovering from starving.

I went back to cam and put on the 90’s jumpsuit as my shirt was gone. I didn’t find any sleep that night. Muffing was near my body and I felt his warm presence. I was still so confused as what had just happened. I Looked so different and my scar was glowing the green as the stone. It was like it guided and helped me. It provided just enough light just like a night light.

That night I thought about the conversation Hechsa and his family had. I recalled they were most urgent that I left bach to camp. This kind of made me nervous. Were they lying to me? I was in total shock of what had happened to me. In a panic of thoughts, I fell asleep.           

That morning I arose to put on my jumpsuit and walked along the beach. I had almost forgotten about where I came from and why I had this jumpsuit. I walked the island with my dog muffin. I climbed upon a sand dune that looked over the mile of beach ahead. I looked forward and say a large piece of colorful fabric. I ran down the sand dune with muffin to find a large strip of nylon with a strapped backpack attached to it.

I desperately searched through the back pack to find paper work, a rotten packed lunch. I overlooked the wrinkly paperwork to see my name and my moms name. I read the whole paper to find out that it was a receipt for skydiving. It stated that I was going sky diving. I wondered if I sky divided here. it seemed plausible, so I went with it. I looked at the pattern on the parachute and I noticed it match a patch of fabric that I had found. I looked around the parachute and saw a big tear in the fabric. I took the parachute on my walk. I couldn’t just leave it.

I continued my walk up the island. The walk was fairly boring. I walked in the hot sun until I saw what looked like brick. I thought it was just a mirage, but I ran around the next turn and saw a building made out of brick. It was large. Like the size of a Costco. I don’t know why I compared it to a cost co, but maybe it was because my gut was rumbling the whole walk here.

The building had a large logo sign saying All You Need Mart. I ran in to find several island maps. I grabbed some maps in case I got lost. I found a shopping cart and I went around the superstore. I saw so much good foods and I loaded them into my cart. I didn’t even care that the building was rather random. I kept shopping and figured maybe I should live here. They had a whole section of home Improvement with room samples. They also had a mattress and bedding section. They also had a faculty lounge functioning kitchen. This was a dream. I went to the counter to see if anyone was here when out of the corner of my eye, I saw What I that to be Noan. I ran towards him when he turned around and screamed.

“Noan, why the heck are you here!?”

“You shouldn’t be here.”

“why, you can’t have this place to yourself and your family”

“oh fine”

“don’t you have a shelter of your own” I asked

“Yeah but I’m on my shift” he explained

“you work here”

“unfortunately,”

“well what do you do?’ I questioned

“you know, cleanup, and restock the shelves”

“with what”

“with stuff”

“I get the idea that your lying to me. You can’t clean or restock shelves without Any thing to restock the shelves with. And you think your magically making the floor clean?”

“I mean, I guess”

“Liar”

“tell me the truth!”

“but I,”

“what!”

“I just can’t!”

“It’s a secret”

“trustworthy people don’t have secrets untold to people who need to know.”

“I need you to trust me Noan”

“Ahh! Fine”

“I’ll tell you later”

“No, you won’t. Please tell me now”

“Oh fine. Just promise you won’t tell any one of my family. Were to start?

A long time ago Me and my siblings were captured by these men. Remember the man who killed you. He is our brother. He fell into the kidnaper’s persuasive ways and went on a journey to kill us. The kidnaper was smart enough to not murder us but to have our brother kill us. The men chanted a shout and he was running toward us. We were in a tied chair in the back of the room. We scooted way but cut our brother luka. When he cut luka he also cut the rope. We were free, but luka was stabbed in the head several times. At the time we lived in Samoa. We fled to the beach and ran in. we swam for about five miles before finding a dead log to rest on. But a storm was brewing. We paddled as fast as we could, but the storm caught us. We held on as best we could, but we got stuck by lightning. We woke up on the beach like you. But three hours or so after resting our brother Takkalla came. It was a night mare. It was like a psychotic version of hide and seek. Realizing that Takkalla had not been successful the men went on a search for us. The men were part of a cult. A cult of magic. What they didn’t know is that we smuggled out some of their magic books.

We had to do something we couldn’t just stand there. We secretly learned magic while on the move from takkalla. It was judgment day. We tested the magic on animals, but not on humans. We didn’t know if it would work but we tried our best. We had a large war. But eventually they gave up. They fled into the forest.”

“are you saying there still here!?”

“we, we, we don’t know” he stuttered in fear

“wait, where’s your dog?”

“I don’t know”

“Ahh we need to find him.”

“What if he finds the me?"

I ran out of the superstore in a cold sweat. All that afternoon we called and searched. We called him by name and called for treats. We walked around for at least five hours. Until we reached a Hole in the ground of a large tree. It looked large enough for us to go down it. So, I went down. My body slid down the gritty dirt. I felt sharp rocks scraping against my skin. It felt liked someone was sanding my body. But I fell through relatively fast. I looked around to what looked like a normal house. I called if any one was here. I heard a  bark from in front of me and I ran in with Noan. And I searched for my dog. I ran through doors and hallways until I reached a dated room.

I saw a man in each corner. I new this would not go down well. I ran in quick to grab my dog, but I felt two hands on my shoulder. It jerked me back and shoved me to the ground. From the hooded capes I saw them each pull large knives from out of the cloak. They ran toward me at full force, but before I could run Noan and his siblings ran in and fought. The were shoved from the back from two other men. All on the ground the man stabbed axes in their chests. I ran away in to a corner panicked. I grabbed my dog and put him to my chest. I punched a hole in the wall and shoved him in the wall. They watched me cry and watched me struggle. Right as I punched they came over.

Luckily muffin was in the wall, but they grabbed me. He slammed me to the ground bruising me. My bloody hands begged for mercy but the stabbed me in the leg. I looked around and bolted for the doorway. I escaped by the skin of my teeth. They ran towards me but I frantically searched the underground kitchen to find a lighter. I shoved it down my pants. I ran to the garage, but it was blocked by a man. I could only respond there was to time to think. I took my fist and slammed it into his eyes. I opened the door and looked frantically for gasoline. I tore down the cabinet. I found it. I ran to hide.

They heard the Man scream as he fell to his death. Before I could think I splashed gasoline on them. I got all but one. But I went with it. I lit the lighter and the room caught on fire. I ran through the room as I watched my skin on my feet melt away. I ran my bloody trail across the house until I found the room where muffin was. I snatched him and jumped out the tree hole. I shoved a large log down the hole.

The fire had worked, but if I didn’t get help soon I would die. My feet were in extreme pain. I watched as the blood poured out. I clutched my dirty dog muffin to my chest as I watched my tinder box house put up smoke. I wasn’t too far from Samoa. I was hopeful. I felt my legs go num and it overcame my body. I couldn’t feel anything. It was as if the world was nothing. That was the last thing I remembered.

I awoke to see my mom in front of me crying. I was in a hospital gown in a hospital bed. She told me I was put in a pain induced coma and I was now fifteen. I was shocked. Muffin was sleeping on my bed. I was so scared of what I had witnessed. I paradise turned into my worst fear. To this day I know one of the men is out there. If he knew where Noan was he knows where I am. I cried as I explained what happened to my mom. Doctors recorded my every move. The was worried for my future, what would happen to me?

This piece was one of my favorites to write. It was origianaly a class asignment but thought it might be fun to enter it into Teenink.