Passion or a Dream | Teen Ink

Passion or a Dream

November 5, 2018
By taylorcolton0224 BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa
taylorcolton0224 BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Logan sat in the car looking out at the house that used to be his. He remembered all the fun memories made at that house before he left, and then the door of this house opened, and he saw them for the first time in years.

(years prior) Logan just woke up and it was 6:30 in the morning. He got ready to go for his run. Logan did this every morning it was three miles long. After his run, he went to the gym and did agility work for about an hour, then he would shower and go home. By this time the rest of his family was awake and Logan would sit down and eat his second breakfast with them.

“Logan you have to go outside to help your Dad right after you are done eating,” said Logan’s mom.

“ Ok, but how long will it take, I have to be to the field by 9:30 this morning,” said Logan.

“ You can go when you finish helping your dad,” replied Logan’s mom.

Logan went outside to help his dad and he did not get done until nine o'clock. The field was an hour away so he was gonna be late as usual. Logan thought to himself, I’m lucky I haven’t been kicked off the team with how many times I’ve been late. Neither of Logan's parents cared about him being to soccer on time. They did not even care that Logan is ranked in the top three goalkeepers in the country. Logan and his family lived outside of Dublin, Ireland. His family was from the U.S. but moved to Ireland right before Logan was born. Logan’s mom doesn’t work and his dad has the biggest stereotyped job in Ireland, he was a potato farmer. Logan has two younger siblings. His youngest brother is nine and his other brother is twelve, and Logan is the oldest at the age of seventeen. Logan played soccer when he was younger and didn’t really start training until he was fifteen. His parents wanted him to quit, but Logan refused to, his parents haven’t seen him play since then.

When Logan finally made it to practice his coach called him over immediately. Logan had no idea what he was gonna say, but he hoped that it wasn’t about him being late.

“Logan there is someone here to talk to you,” said his coach.

“Who is it?” replied Logan.

“Just go over there and talk to him,” answered his coach.

Logan saw a man he was in the bleachers of the practice field. As Logan got closer he saw a logo on his jacket it was a U.S. soccer academy logo.

“Logan, it’s good to finally meet you,” said the man.

“I’m doing good thanks for asking,” replied Logan.

“What would you think about coming to America,”

“ Wait what do you mean,”

“ You were born in the United States, correct,”

“Yes,”

The man told Logan that they want him to come to America to train with the U18 national team. Logan told him he would really want to. The man wanted to talk to his parents. Logan’s heart dropped his parents would never let him go to America, let alone to play soccer.

Logan's parents responded to the man exactly like he thought they would. They told the man no absolutely not. Logan went up to the man before he left to ask him one more question.

“Sir would the U20 team allow me to play for them?” asked Logan.

“I’m sure the coach would allow you to play for them,” answered the man.

Logan got an idea, he was turning eighteen next Friday. He had the man’s phone number and the man said the academy would pay for his flight and they would provide a place for him to stay.

It was the day of Logan’s eighteenth birthday his parents had some family members over to celebrate. All Logan could think about was what his parents would think when they woke up tomorrow and he is gone. When the party ended all the other members of the family left. Logan’s parents went to sleep. It was a really hard decision for Logan to make, but he knew that he had to follow his dream. Logan got to the airport and one of the members of the academy was there to help him get all of his things and to travel to the U.S. with him. They boarded the plane and Logan slept for the entire flight to the U.S. When he landed his phone started ringing, it was his mom, he didn't answer, but he text her and he couldn’t decide what to say. Logan texts her, I’m in the US to play soccer, sorry I didn’t tell you. Logan never got a response.

At the academy, Logan excelled in his matches. He was put on the first team for the national squad by the time he was nineteen. Logan also played for a professional team called the Seattle Sounders. After playing in Seattle for a year Logan went overseas to play in Italy for Roma. After six months Logan was a starter on the squad.

It was Logan’s second year with the team when the coach told them they would be playing an exhibitions game against Celtic FC. Their team was in Ireland were to his knowledge his parents still lived. The team had one more day to hang out in Ireland before they had to return home. Logan got in a cab and went out. The city to the small town where he grew up. He saw his old home in the distance. He got out of the cab, he stood there staring at the house, he didn’t know if he wanted to go knock or not. He hasn’t talked to either of his parents for so long. Then he saw something moving in the house and the front door started to open.