Farewell | Teen Ink

Farewell

By Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other
Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other

"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")

The books are folded, the white tape slashed over. They are stacked: like sport’s equipment. I am a box, and the papers are scuttling out, the manuscripts bones. I have been part of this website for six years; but I am nearing the end of this period. I am the gothic ending to a story, the binding in a folder.

This was a new find for me, as a younger writer. I had written and submitted, read and researched. I reached the arc of my journey: when I was published. As the seasons have passed, the pink blossoms bursting into sunshine, the sun becoming autumn leaves; the leaves becoming frozen with water: I have reached the end. It has taught me what to write; how to write. I studied artwork; I sifted through books. I read fiction articles and memoirs; I expanded my portfolio.

I had been waiting to be published for a long time, like the sunset setting over a horizon. It did not matter; as long as I wrote about love: and journeys, and darkness. Seeing my name in print has completed my experience. It is the bow to a gift; the cherry to a cake.

I will be leaving soon. I hope my writing will stand for me; for all I have been through. I hope it will stay tucked away in a little corner of the internet; like a candle as its flame burns out. I am going on a new adventure; reading classic books. It is not over for me.

I will continue writing. I did not choose writing, it chose me. It will bloom and grow; as the years pass. The trees will grow gnarled; the ants eating the mud. I hope readers will continue to enjoy my literature. I hope it will endure.

Like cushions, as they stacked on a sofa, I will leave this place. Writing literature: was like drawing castles. I found creativity; I found silence, I found strength.

Farewell. Thank you.

This is a Farewell piece to the editors, and the loyal readers. I have been meaning to write one for a while. Enjoy.

on Aug. 30 2017 at 6:35 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

I wrote a farewell article just a few weeks ago, too. We seem to have had similar experiences, though you put it much more beautifully. Congratulations, and all the very best, fellow writer!

on Aug. 29 2017 at 8:21 am
WriteFreak BRONZE, London, Other

"Everybody lies." - Hugh Laurie, House MD.

Well done! I can easily see how this got editors choice.