Bowling Green State University Review | Teen Ink

Bowling Green State University Review

August 12, 2012
By simplyme13 BRONZE, Medina, Ohio
simplyme13 BRONZE, Medina, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Bowling Green, OH: As a soon-to-be senior in high school, I decided that this summer was the perfect opportunity to start touring colleges. Only having lived in Ohio for five years, I had only heard of schools such as Ohio State University and The University of Cincinnati. However, the huge school environment wasn't one that suited me. I was looking for a school that had a "homey" feel and that was what I found at Bowling Green State University.
The 1,338 acre campus setting is full of nature. Every corner you turn you are overtaken by the gorgeous scenery. There are plenty of places to just relax outside and escape from your schoolwork for awhile.
With over 20,000 students attending BGSU, you are able to interact with students from 70 countries and all 50 state. There are more than 300 student organizations and for you Harry Potter fans, they have a Quidditch club. Enough said.
They also have 56 intramural sports that you can participate in ranging from basketball to inner tube water polo. The school's mascot is the Falcon because it is small, but powerful and it also represents the school colors of brown and orange.
BGSU has many traditions and legends that surround its history as well. One of the more popular theories is that if you stand on the University Seal at midnight and kiss your sweetheart, you will soon be married. There is also the legend of Alice the Theater Ghost who haunts theaters in University Hall.
Freshmen are allowed to bring cars to the campus, however, it isn't necessary because they have a shuttle system that runs throughout the campus and also to places surrounding the school. The school and city-life around it are very safe, but if you don't want to walk somewhere alone you can always contact the Campus Escort Service and have someone take you to your destination.
There are 119 buildings including the beautiful new Stroh Center (where sporting events and concerts are held), Dining Halls, Residence Halls, and a Student Health Center. Ironically enough, the Student Health Center is located right next to the cemetery on campus and, as my tour guide stated, "if they can't help you at the Student Health Center, at least they can next door".
The residence halls at BGSU are without a doubt something to talk about. Centennial Hall is a two year old freshman-only dorm in which you have your own private bathrooms. The Offenhauer Towers are popular among upperclassmen and provide single and double rooms. The food options available on-campus are endless including Panda Express, Jamba Juice, Marco's Pizza, Wild Greens, and Chickendipity to name a few.
There are over 200 undergraduate majors available and study abroad opportunities. Whether you want to become a Marine Biologist, a teacher, or have an interest in the arts, BGSU is definitely a university to consider. The student-to-faculty ratio is 20:1. BGSU also awards $20 million in scholarships each year.
Bowling Green State University is a beautiful campus that is inviting to everyone. I highly recommend that you take the time to tour it and read up more online at bgsu.edu


The author's comments:
Feel free to leave any comments or questions about touring the campus!