Bates | Teen Ink

Bates MAG

Lewiston, ME: About three hours from Boston, in the center of Lewiston, Maine, lies the beautiful college campus of a very highly competitive school, Bates College. Established in 1855 as a coed higher education institution committed to providing a challenging academic preparation for life, Bates maintains the finest intellectual environment. Bates has the distinction of being the first coed college in the eastern United States. At Bates a student can pursue a B.A. or B.S. degree in 28 fields. Life for the 1,550 Bates students focus on academics, but there are many campus-based social activities and clubs.

Bates' athletics compete at the Division Three level and a full variety of sports are offered. Bates has a 25-meter pool which is home to the swim team and a full gymnasium with weight rooms, volleyball, squash and handball courts. There are also areas for wrestling, fencing, gymnastics, and dance. The football team, although not impressive in the win column, adds much spirit to fall life on campus. Rivalries with Colby and Bowdoin offer much fun and enthusiasm for the student body. Because of its location, Bates offers opportunities for community service and internships for students in Portland, only forty-five minutes away. There are no fraternities or sororities on campus. The picturesque campus and cordial atmosphere make Bates a desirable college choice for the competitive student. f

Reviewed in 1996

i love this !