Penn State | Teen Ink

Penn State MAG

By Anonymous

   University Park, PA: The year 1855 is very special to Penn Staters, because it was the year that Penn State was established. Penn State has a very diverse campus and is situated in the Mid-Atlantic. University Park is about five hours from New York City and about four hours from Washington, D.C.

The double row of tall elm trees lining the pedestrian mall through central campus sets the tone for the naturally beautiful landscaping of the campus; the adjoining community of State College offers a vibrant downtown area, with numerous specialty shops, restaurants, and movie theaters. On campus, the new 16,000-seat Jordan Center attracts high-profile concerts and other popular entertainment.

The University Park Campus offers the full four years of more than 140 baccalaureate majors. Undergraduate enrollment at University Park is more than 33,000. Some of the classes will be larger than expected.

Penn State also has a variety of activities for students. There are more than 400 organized student clubs and activities, including student government, music and performing arts, religious and spiritual organizations, sports and recreation groups, nationality and ethnic organizations, and numerous special interest groups, 29 varsity sports teams, 59 fraternities and 27 sororities, and an award-winning student newspaper called The Daily Collegian.

Housing is not guaranteed on University Park, but it is mandatory for all freshmen. It is based on a first-come, first-serve basis. Six residence hall areas throughout the campus offer traditional dormitory-style living.

All in all, students at University Park find numerous opportunities to participate in research themselves, gaining valuable knowledge and experience. f




Reviewed in 1996