Duquesne University | Teen Ink

Duquesne University MAG

By Kendra Fischer BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
Kendra Fischer BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio

Pittsburgh, PA: Choosing the right college is nerve-wracking and a tough decision for many high school seniors, but not me. All it took was one stroll on Duquesne University's bluff for me to realize that this was where I wanted to spend the next four years of my life. After learning about its top-notch academic programs, I was sold. Duquesne is a small school in a big city setting and is the perfect match for anyone wanting to grow as a student and a person.

Duquesne is located in downtown Pittsburgh, so students have ample opportunities at their fingertips yet still are able to feel safe and secure on the school's campus. Spread over 49 acres, the campus is small, making it easy to adapt to. The Duquesne Union's central location allows easy access for pit-stops between classes. It's easy to forget you are in the middle of a big city because of the serenity. Duquesne's campus is just one aspect in which the university takes pride.

Students reside in six living-learning centers on campus that house over 3,000. Although these buildings are dated, they give Duquesne a classic college feel. There is one honors dorm so these students can live in an environment that will suit them. Each living facility offers unique benefits to the students.

Duquesne's academic programs are known to be competitive and among the best. Each school features programs that make up the 100 undergraduate degrees offered. There are 66 graduate programs and 22 doctorate programs. With a 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio, it is clear that Duquesne's students get full attention and devotion, which keeps the academics strong.

Tuition at Duquesne is higher than at many universities, but it is well worth it. As a private institution, Duquesne's fees range from $25,000 to $36,000 per year depending on the field of study. Along with the $4,000 room-and-board cost, Duquesne is quite expensive. However, the school provides help with financial aid.

Anyone attending Duquesne University is given many opportunities to participate in a variety of activities both in the school and community. There are 10 varsity sports and over 160 student organizations focused on everything from media to religion and service. There is something for everyone.

With its nationally recognized academic programs, its wide variety of student organizations, and its big-city location, Duquesne has a lot to offer. Duquesne University is a great institution that will benefit anyone who is accepted.