Colgate University | Teen Ink

Colgate University MAG

Hamilton,NY: Colgate University is a liberal-arts college whose academic programs lead toa Bachelor of Arts or a Masters of Arts in teaching. After 150 years as anall-male institution, Colgate accepted women in 1970. Currently, 51 percent ofthe 2,800 undergraduates are women.

With a student-faculty ratio of 11:1,Colgate offers 50 majors in the arts, humanities and sciences, as well as aninterdisciplinary core liberal-arts curriculum with four courses. Students comefrom almost every state, the District of Columbia, two U.S territories and 27countries. Ninety-three percent of Colgate's incoming class was in the top 20percent of their high-school class, with SAT verbal scores between 640-720, mathscores between 650-730, and ACT scores in the 28-32 range.

Colgate isranked by U.S. News in the top 20 best liberal-arts colleges in the country andhas Division I athletics in men's and women's basketball, cross-country, icehockey, lacrosse, rowing, soccer, swimming and diving, tennis and indoor andoutdoor track. Twenty-three intramural sports, 20 club sports, a complete outdooreducation program, and over 100 clubs are also offered.

After visitingColgate, I realized the school is full of tradition, from the ice cream socialsto the outstanding Torchlight Ceremony. During my visit I was told aboutColgate's "hello" tradition, where students, faculty and staffregularly say hello to passersby. They consider it a way of getting to know eachother and welcoming strangers to their beautiful campus. Their student handbookeven provides instructions for new students: "Do not fail to say 'Hello' toeveryone. Freshmen always speak first." I thought this was great! And,there's a legend that says your first Colgate kiss will take place on WillowPath.

Colgate has something for almost everyone, with its greattraditions and activities to keep students occupied. Not only does this schooloffer a great educational program, but one of the best athletic programs, too.This wonderful school strives for excellence, sportsmanship, tradition,education, an active campus life and history, and is a great place for people togrow. If these are some of the things you're looking for, you should add Colgateto your list!

Reviewed in 2003

i love this !

Stela SILVER said...
on Aug. 26 2010 at 9:21 am
Stela SILVER, Dubai, Other

You\'re not your job. You\'re not how much money you have in the bank. You\'re not the car you drive. You\'re not the contents of your wallet. You\'re not your f***ing khakis. You\'re the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. - Fight Club

I was thinking of going to Colgate and the article makes it even more appealing! A job well done ;)