Hendrix College This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Conway, AR: I recently visited Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas, a town of 40,000 located 30 miles from Little Rock. Conway is home to 11,000 college students who attend University of Central Arkansas, Central Baptist College and Hendrix.

Hendrix is a small liberal-arts college with an enormous sense of community. It has a small campus, so all the students know each other and their professors. There are many interesting traditions that come with being a Hendrix student. For example, on your birthday the dining hall staff bake you a cake and present it while the whole cafeteria sings "Happy Birthday."

Another tradition is the freshman orientation trip. Freshmen arrive on campus two weeks before school and select a trip - rock climbing and spelunking for the outdoorsy type, or Habitat for Humanity and even Memphis for the not-so-outdoorsy people. This allows freshmen to get acquainted before classes start and makes things a little less overwhelming.

Besides the unique traditions, the beauty of the campus overwhelmed me. All the buildings are brick with tons of windows. The landscaping was amazing, and even on a rainy day, it was gorgeous. They have unusual pecan courts throughout the campus.

I also had the opportunity to sit in on a class. I chose a psychology class, and even as a junior in high school, I was totally immersed in the class. Although it was an upper-level course, it was extremely laid-back. I was impressed that the professor knew the students' names and was so enthused about what she was teaching that there was no way not to enjoy the class.

Like many other colleges and universities, freshman must live in the residence halls their first year, but at Hendrix the majority of students live on campus anyway. They say it keeps them involved, which is exceedingly important to everyone. In fact, most social activities occur on campus.

I really enjoyed visiting Hendrix, and encourage anyone interested in a liberal-arts education to look into this great school.

Reviewed in 2003

currentstudent said...
Please listen to me when I say this college is not what it seems. The professors are unhelpful and focus only on their private research. The parties are out of control and the campus does little to nothing to stop it. This is a dream college for those who like to party, drink and do drugs with out legal consequences

Meredith M. said...
Hendrix is my dream college. I have visited the school twice, and I'm starting to get my application ready. Your article reassured my belief that Hendrix is right for me! Great job!

AshoIncognito replied...
Jan. 18, 2011 at 8:44 am :
Hendrix has been my dream college for eight years now. I know it's expensive, but I'm fighting tooth and nail for as many scholarships as I can. The atmosphere there, from the times I've visited, is amazing, and all the reviews they recieve are top-notch. Don't let anyone fool you--Arkansas DOES have a decent college.

AmandaAdenine said...
That's awesome that you liked the school because I was really thinking about going there. I'm sure I would love to if I had the money, so we'll see if I actually end up going (probably won't)

Domingo Galdos replied...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 11:58 am :

You do have the money. As a United States citizen, you have access to a wide variety of federal loan programs which will loan you the money on generous terms which you can repay out of your increased earnings from having a great college degree.

I hate it when people are mislead into thinking they have to have money to go to college. I am paying my way with loans and so are plenty of people. That is no excuse.

Teal said...
Mar. 24, 2009 at 3:41 pm:
Thanks for the article. I am looking at this college!