University of Tennessee | Teen Ink

University of Tennessee MAG

Knoxville, TN: The University of Tennessee, chartered in 1794, is a great school with a strong academic program, including a top-notch psychology program. Southern hospitality makes for friendly faculty and students (there are nearly 20,000 undergrads). For Tennessee residents, tuition, room and board come to $9,560 while out-of-staters pay $18,642.

The best way to get to know UT is through its athletic programs, since the school makes a huge effort to bring in athletes through scholarships. Baseball and men's basketball are usually above average, while the football and women's basketball programs are powerhouses.

The Tennessee Volunteers were named because, from the Revolutionary War to the Mexican War, Tennesseeans were always quick to join the fighting. Now, students are quick to support their athletes while decked out in orange and white, the school colors. Though Neyland Stadium is huge, the Volunteers always fill it with fans supporting the football team. While the men's basketball program has never won a national championship, the football team has won in the last five years and the women's basketball program has won three in the last eight years.

And, though parents may not like it, another deciding factor for many students is that UT has been named one of the best party schools in the nation.

With a good effort to make students happy, great academics and an outstanding athletics program, the University of Tennessee is a great school.

Reviewed in 2004

i love this !