Lafayette College | Teen Ink

Lafayette College MAG

By Anonymous

     Easton, PA: Set atop hills, Lafayette College overlooks the friendly, artsy town of Easton, conveniently located between New York City and Philadelphia. With a reputation for academic excellence, the Fiske Guide to College 2002 describes Lafayette as "a small school where students work hard and play hard, and in recent years, there has been an increased emphasis on the former. With a growing focus on academics, Lafayette is making its mark."

With a student population of 2,300, Lafayette offers small, rewarding classes with room for personal relationships with professors. As a result of its liberal-arts environment and everything from an acclaimed engineering program to a growing art department, Lafayette attracts a diverse student body. The classroom allows students to work together and help one another learn in ways their minds are not familiar with.

Located just an hour from Philadelphia and New York City, students have a great opportunity to intern in either city. However, if students wish to study farther away, Lafayette has an acclaimed study-abroad program.

Academics are not its only positive aspect. The athletic program participates in the Division I Patriot League, adding a dash of camaraderie and school spirit to campus. The sporting event of the year, the Lehigh-Lafayette football game, attracts many alumni and, of course, an enthusiastic student body. Not only do sports provide a social relief to demanding academics, the ever-popular Greek life does too. The brother and sisterhood that Greek life fosters can help ease the transition to college and provides a second family for students.

If you are looking for a social liberal-arts school with a reputation for academic excellence, look no more. Lafayette will provide you with all this and more. With a small student population and a big-campus feel, a school cannot get much better.



Reviewed in 2004