The Cooper Union | Teen Ink

The Cooper Union MAG

By Anonymous

     New York, NY: This fall I helped move mybrother into the Albert Nerken School of Engineering at The CooperUnion. I am very proud and excited for him.

The Cooper Union,one of the country’s smallest universities, gives a fullscholarship to all of its students. Alumni often end up in topmanagement positions.

I remember us visiting with the professorsand the college officials. They introduced themselves and gave speeches.One memorable part was hearing, “Your sons, daughters, brothersand sisters have probably had straight A’s all through highschool, but now that they are entering The Cooper Union, their gradeswill probably be C’s.”

The Cooper Union, establishedin 1859, is the only full-scholarship, private college in theUnited States. It is designed to prepare students for professions in thearts, architecture and engineering. Located in the East Village inManhattan, its dorms are apartment buildings, with relatively high rent.The Cooper Union is home to students from all around the world.

The admissions board looks for students who excel in the arts andengineering. It has a very low acceptance rate so applicants need highgrades and very good SAT scores.

If you want to go to school inthe city and have a great job after graduation, then look into applyingbecause you never know what will happen. Their website iswww.cooper.edu.



Reviewed in 2005