Southern Illinois University | Teen Ink

Southern Illinois University MAG

Carbondale, IL: What is a Saluki? It is a kind of dog, and the mascot of Southern Illinois University. Filled with forests, lakes, and fields, SIU is a nature lover’s dream. It’s also a great place for boating, rock climbing, hiking, horseback riding, and many other outdoor activities.

Even if you are not a “woodsy” person, there are lots of other things to do at SIU. It offers many sports-related activities, ranging from basketball, tennis, track, and boxing to ballroom dancing and yoga. No matter what type of person you are, there is a great activity for you at SIU!

As far as majors go, SIU specializes in engineering and liberal arts, and its schools of law and medicine are well known. There are approximately 21,000 students in this wonderful learning environment, and there are nearly 175 academic programs. Some classes include art, automotive technology, anthropology, business, cinema, photography, and foreign languages.

There are two large libraries on the expansive campus. The university has its own museum, which includes an exhibit about Illinois’ origin. If you like acting or watching performances, SIU has a theater department; if you want something both physical and soul-enriching, try a type of martial arts. The university also offers a course where you can learn how to start your own business.

As you can see, SIU can appeal to anyone. If you still aren’t sure and want to read more, go to their website at www.siu.edu.

i love this !