Columbia College Chicago This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Chicago, IL: Imagine this: You are walking along the street on your way to the dormitories to start your homework when you see throngs of people. No one is being allowed through, so you stop, curiosity bubbling inside you. You ask a passerby what in the world is going on. He grumbles, “Haven’t you heard? They’re filming the new Batman movie.” At that moment a low-flying helicopter swoops down through the buildings for a second take of the SWAT team chase. Sound impossible? Not in Chicago.

Columbia College Chicago. Not just Columbia College. It is important to include the word Chicago, because its location is part of what makes Columbia such an overwhelmingly wonderful place. Tucked into about a dozen buildings in the heart of downtown, Columbia College Chicago offers a perfect backdrop for the aspiring artist. It caters to artists of all kinds, from painters to dancers, writers to musicians, actors to filmmakers. With over 120 academic programs, 11,000+ students, and small classes, Columbia is perhaps one of the most unique arts colleges in the U.S.

While Columbia offers the standard fine-arts majors, including writing, decorative arts, dance, music, theater, and journalism, it also has some very unique programs. One program not usually viewed as a fine arts major is early childhood education. It teaches a creative approach to instructing children that puts an emphasis on the importance of art. Another is film/video. Columbia is one of the few colleges in the world that offers such a major. You can pick a concentration like producing, directing, editing, and even animation. Which brings us to the third, and perhaps most unique program offered: game design. This is the video game geeks’ dream. It will give students the skills to develop and create their own video games.

Aside from Columbia’s amazing location and incredible courses, the school has perhaps the best housing I have ever seen. Instead of standard dormitories, students live in huge, beautiful apartments that most would pay hundreds of dollars a month for.

So consider this, artists: If you seek a spectacular city setting with diverse culture, the best in entertainment, the most exclusive restaurants, and the quaintest corner cafes, as well as the higher education experience of a lifetime, check out Columbia College Chicago. More information is provided on their website www.colum.edu. It’s worth a visit.

Who knows ... you might even get to see the Batmobile!

riley1516 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ive been looking at this school. But i have a question. Is it extremely hard to get into? I mean do you already have to pretty good in the area you want to go into to get in?

Shay replied...
I'd been looking at this school and decided to apply after being really sold at the open house.(you should go) Welcoming but a little intimidating with the thousands of students there possibly dreaming the same dream as I was. It was fantastic and I'm glad I went despite feeling like I went because my parents said I should. I figured I'd seen it all after being accepted into their high school summer institute program for acting(prior to the open house). It was fun and I got colleg... (more »)

riley1516 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Congratulations on your acceptance!  ive decided that im going to tour there over my spring break.  I want to go into film/creative writing.  Im only a junior but the pressure to find a college has begun thats for sure.  Im a really good writer & i am super creative but I dont have much experience with film so I hope it works out.  But thanks for your help!

thelogicoflove said...
I have been looking into colleges in/near Chicago and so far this one seems great! This was a nice, informative article that helped me calm any doubts I've had. It was well written, as well :)