Dyersburg State Community College- Covington campus | Teen Ink

Dyersburg State Community College- Covington campus

January 25, 2010
By ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
10 articles 0 photos 107 comments

Recently, I took advantage of a opprotunity to visit Dyersburg State Community College at the Covington, TN campus. This was my first college visit and I was eager to see what it was like. The Covington campus is hidden behind a hill on hwy 51. It is made up of two buildings, the Jinny Naifeh center and the newly added academic building. Each building consist of one long hallway divided by an information desk. Both buildings also have one nice lounge and snack room.
DSCC is experiencing record enrollment with about 3000 students in all three centers combined. It is a community that is growning every year. With an average tution cost of $2500 a year, it's not really surprising that more and more students are getting interested in DSCC. But for students still seeking financial aid sholarships, grants, work-study and a book fund are available for those who qualify.
My personal experience at the college was a positive one. My tour guide was helpful and friendly. Several times we were stopped in the hall by one of her friends. They immediately struck up a conversation and encouraged me to go to DSCC. "We always have something going on, and you'll love the teachers." I almost started to think my guide had paid them to say those things. But quickly, I realized their school spirit was spread throughout the student body.
The campus was smaller than I expected. Even for a community college it was small. That was a comfort more than anything to me. Every worry of getting lost in the hallways and being late for class instantily vanished. I think that smallness is what encourages the school spirit, sense of family and southern hospitality that I picked up on.
I also wondered what the social aspect of the college was like. I was told that there's always somethign to look forward to, and that the many clubs and organizations were not exclusive. With the promise that there was always someone there to help me, I thanked them and made my way out.
Community college was not my first choice, but after my experience at Dyersburg state I was energized, excited and hopeful for my future. And that's priceless.

For more information you can go to dscc.edu.