Johnson & Wales This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Providence, RI: During the summer when most soon-to-be seniors were working or relaxing, I visited Johnson and Wales University. I enrolled in the Culinary Arts Career Exploration program, which is a week-long course that briefly teaches a few culinary skills while simulating college life.

Johnson and Wales' campus is spread out from downtown Providence to Warwick to Seekonk, MA. However, there are free J&W buses that run between the different campus sites. Johnson and Wales also offers majors in business and travel & tourism. During my visit, I stayed in a coed dorm with one roommate. However, during the school year there would be 3 or 4 students living together in a somewhat small but adequate room.

There are several food labs and dining rooms on campus. The chefs are all very friendly, helpful and serious about their work. There is a very professional atmosphere at Johnson and Wales.

They have a large gym and weight room and two student-run cafes. J&W also has a well-stocked bookstore where you can purchase anything from detergent to chefs' uniforms to college sweatshirts.

The only drawback about Johnson and Wales is the lack of an athletic program. Because of this, there isn't a feeling of school spirit. They do have several intramural sports and many interesting clubs. n

Reviewed in 1991

Katee W. said...
Aug. 19, 2009 at 1:34 am
what cin of school is this