Dilllard University College Review | Teen Ink

Dilllard University College Review

By Keyona Frazier BRONZE, Shreveport, Louisiana
Keyona Frazier BRONZE, Shreveport, Louisiana

Dillard University is a private, historically black liberal arts college in New Orleans, Louisiana. Dillard University was founded in 1869, with the United Church and the United Methodist Church. Due to economic hardships and rounds of negotiation between the two institutions, Straight College and New Orleans University chartered Dillard University on June 6, 1930. Dillard University offers Bachelor of Arts, science, and Bachelor of Science in nursing degrees in over 35 majors. The diverse major, minor, and course offerings create an opportunities for a comprehensive, global education. The school colors are royal blue and white. Their nickname is Blue Devils.

Some of the majors include accounting, business management, economic and finance early childhood education, psychology, and visual art. In preparation for graduate and professional schools, Undergraduates are encouraged to work closely with a faculty member to produce a high quality undergraduate research project. The Institute of Jazz Culture was established in 2002 by founding director, Irvin Mayfield. Dillard University’s campus is located on 55 acres in the suburban-like Gentilly neighborhood of New Orleans 7th Ward district. DUICEF (Dillard University International Center for Economic Freedom) is the university’s newest building, dedicated in 2004. Will W. Alexander Library is Dillard University’s library. It was built in 1961. The library was dedicated in honor of the first acting president of Dillard University.