A College Education Isn’t the Right Path for Everyone | Teen Ink

A College Education Isn’t the Right Path for Everyone

By lakiahill12 BRONZE, Columbia Falls, Montana
lakiahill12 BRONZE, Columbia Falls, Montana

Michelle Obama once said, “You have to stay in school. You have to. You have to go to college. You have to get your degree. Because that's the one thing people can't take away from you is your education. And it is worth the investment” (Obama). How unfair is it that a past leader of America is trying to decide people’s future for them. First Lady Michelle Obama should know that America is a free country, therefore we have the right to make decisions in our best interest. There are many different ways a person can choose to live their life. A common life style that is followed by many people, is the lifestyle that leads you to college. Once you make it through high school, college is followed. This is where the college experience is fulfilled, the schooling is leading you to a said bright future, and the living experience is building up the responsibility, so that one day you will be ready to have a family and be financially stable on your own. But, is this life really the life for everyone? Not all jobs need a college education. People have other plans besides continuing education after high school. Lastly, college is just downright expensive. Going to college is definitely not for everyone.

Granted, some people would argue that students could apply for scholarships to help pay for college. Yes, people can get college scholarships that can help them pay for college, but this still is only helping pay for portions of the schooling bill. There is still more money that needs to be paid, which will still fall into the student's hands. Another argument someone could make is that college will help a person become more responsible. The fact that a person will start  living on their own will cause them to have to make more responsible decisions such as getting a job so that they can pay for their home. Also, becoming responsible is something that is done on it’s own, it is mostly self taught. There are a ton of more ways to become a responsible adult other than college. Lastly, someone could insist that education gives you a chance to a more open future. A write up about attending college stated, “Education gives you choices” (Rotherham). This is a poor argument considering how many jobs are out there that don’t involve a college education.

The fact that not all jobs need a post college education is ignored by many. Robert Reich explained, “A four-year college degree isn’t necessary for many of tomorrow’s jobs” (Reich). Take a massage therapist for example. An article explained, “Massage therapists typically complete a postsecondary education program of 500 or more hours of study and experience, although standards and requirements vary greatly by state or other jurisdiction. Most states regulate massage therapy and require massage therapists to have a license or certification” (“How to Become a Massage Therapist”). There is no college necessary for this convenient job. Another job that doesn’t need a college education is a personal trainer. A common way of becoming a trainer is by choosing to learn how to be one all on their own. They study subjects along the lines of physical fitness and human anatomy. The main key to becoming a trainer though is to get a certificate of certification (“How to Become a Personal Trainer | What Does It Take?”). One last job that doesn’t need a college education is a Phlebotomist Tech. This is a person who draws blood. There is only a minor amount of course training that needs to be done in order to become one, “On completion of a training course or acquiring on-the-job training in phlebotomy you could get certified by taking the phlebotomy certification exam conducted by any nationally recognized association. The exam involves a written test for checking your theoretical and practical knowledge of phlebotomy” (“Steps to Become a Phlebotomist Guide”). All in all, there are plenty of job choices that do not involve a college degree.

To continue, some people have plans for their life after high school, which do not involve a college education. First off, some people choose to travel. Once people have finished the long, challenging, and boring years of high school, some might just choose to travel. Traveling is not only a fun experience, but also an amazing learning experience. The chances of a lifetime will come around; there are so many sights to see, foods to try, and cultures to observe. To add on, some students just simply want a break from schooling. Kids are pushed, taught, and are hammered on for 12 school years in a row. After high school it is fair for them to just be able to be done. Finishing up, seldom, but some are ready to begin a family once highschool is over. There are some students that are already in a serious relationship and are ready to focus on that. Commonly enough, not all people have college in their future plans.

Lastly, college is expensive. The first major and common expense are textbooks and supplies. An article, Cost of College Textbooks out of Control, Group Says, wrote, “The College Board estimates that the average student in this country spends around $1,200 a year on books and supplies. A single book can cost as much as $200” (Weisbaum). So, along with the overall expense of college, there is another pretty spendy bill to add on to it. Along with those two costs, comes the cost of courses or classes that will be taken. This will make out to be a pretty big cost in the long run, not to mention the stress that is going to be consuming the college student. Another obvious expense is the living expense. Student’s can’t just go to college. They have to have a place to live, food to eat, and home supplies. Of course, all of those costs will just keeping adding up too. All in all, along with the overall expense of going to college, there is a lot more money that will also have to be spent while attending college.

In conclusion, college is not meant for all high school graduates. First, not all jobs need a previous college degree. Second, people have other plans that they hope to follow out in their life. Lastly, college is so expensive. In life, there are many tough decisions that need to be made, but going to college should not be one of them.  

This was written in a Pre AP English class.