Business Guru | Teen Ink

Business Guru

There are many aspects of my life that have led me to my decision of majoring in Business and Communications. Some of these aspects are derived from childhood experiences and my extracurricular activities (Future Business Leaders of America).

When I was younger, I had an obsession with money. Around the age of 10, I had started working at our family business. My job duties included little jobs like sweeping, cleaning, and setting tables. Since I had started working there, my aunt began to give me some money for helping her.

After a few months of helping my aunt, I began to accumulate a savings, and a love for money, in my little pink lock box under my bed. My mom, dad, brother, and sister soon realized that I had all of this money and began to ask to borrow money from me. Once my family began to borrow money, I began to keep a record of the withdrawals from my lock box. Along with a record of withdrawals, I also kept a list of who owed interest, which came from my grandfather who always talked about money. However, since I was young, I would always forget about who owed interest and tended to care more about the money I was receiving from everyone who began to repay me. The family business helped get my foot in the door when it came to all business aspects.

From a young age and the famiy business, I have been in love with anything business related. I began to develop more of that love when I reached high school. In high school, I became involved in many extracurricular activities, specifically Future Business Leaders of America. In this club, I was given multiple opportunities to explore different types of business, such as the difference between Marketing and Entrepreneurship. Each year in the club, I was given a project to accomplish. One year, I had to make a business plan for a start-up business. This gave me some insight to the entrepreneurship side of business and what an entrepreneur was expected to do. This project made me to realize that I was not fond of entrepreneurship. Another year, I was partnered with a company to make a new marketing plan. My marketing plan won by choice of the company which was incorporated into their business. This project was more focused on the marketing aspect of business which helped me develop more of an interest into a specific part of business. Throughout the years of my participation within this club, I began to realize how much passion and love I had for business.

Although there are many aspects to my decision, I believe King’s College will best meet my educational expectations and be the right fit for me. At King’s College, I hope to study business by majoring in Business and minoring in Communications. I think King’s College is an ideal place for me because of the well renowned business school, William G. McGowan School of Business.

The thing I love most about King’s College is that they are committed to each and every student, give every student an educational or career goal, and provide a sense of community like I see in my hometown of Carbondale, Pennsylvania.