Pride Is the Key | Teen Ink

Pride Is the Key

By liyahh SILVER, Sacramento, California
liyahh SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Don't let the opinions of others consume you"

Mahatma Gandhi “Be the change that you wish to see in the world”. I am Aaliyah, a high student and a hard worker. I’m the most shy, loudest, and focused daughter in the family. With both school and dancing, I am well organized.My goals are the most important to me such as; getting A’s, being loud, playing sports, becoming successful, but only because it keeps me busy and occupied with new experiences. Mainly sports and becoming successful is my main target in the future. At the time, I wanted to be healthy and fit as growing older. Therefore, I’m trying to be more professional.

Sports matter to me because it’s a good way to relieve stress. For example, dancing is a good way to let out steam by doing facial expressions. I like dancing because it contains being yourself and being engaged. Dancing makes me find a whole new side of me; better side of me. I never go by a day where I don’t think of dance moves in my head. Dancing is my inspiration because when I look at other people dancing I get so amazed by it like I’m in my own world. Also football because it has a lot of motivation and courage. Really keeps you fit also. I love this educational program called the Navy Drill, but known as “NROTC” because it's a good way to be more professional and learning new things in the navy that I didn't know myself, but gladly learnt from a High Rank leaders themselves. Being in NROTC has been amazing so far because it helps me be more loud rather than shy.

Becoming successful matters to me because I love to have pride in myself. Looking back at the work that I did, when it comes down being in my old age I want to tell my kids and grand kids about how I became successful of the biggest company in the world. Having the biggest company will mean a lot to me because I would be very proud of myself of the work that I put effort into, instead of reflecting and comparing myself to other people on how I should of done better in life than not doing nothing for myself. I’m not becoming big because of money, it’s what you can do to make a difference in the world. Even though, it seems to be to be a lot of work, but I’m going to push my limits. Becoming successful is in the blood. One day I would make a difference and that’s a promise. What made me want to become successful? Well, a few people in the world has a lot of money and don't want to help the society become better, they just do it for themselves. I wouldn't keep all the money to myself, I would at least help the ones in need that are suffering out there.

In the future, I want to be the best person I can be. I want to be able to say, “Yes, I did that!” without looking like a fool. I want an adventure throughout my life on how I went through life facing challenges. I will support my family, mainly my mom because she's been there for me through thick and thin, even though she faces challenges that hits hard everyday. But I'm proud and thankful of my mother for raising me right and telling me all the things I need to know in life. But, I want to be a professional dancer that does hip-hop and jazz. I want to go college in UCLA because I believe and I am smart enough to make it. I want to take risks that would make me feel so alive and free.

I am African American and strong. I enjoy being around my love ones and expect being who I am. When I see myself, I see PRIDE!

What inspired me to write the is? Well, I seen many people write these amazing stories about their lives. Let's just say they're my inspiration. I hope people will see me more, than just my name.