The Rain | Teen Ink

The Rain

By Super_Girl14 SILVER, Kansas City, Missouri
Super_Girl14 SILVER, Kansas City, Missouri

The sky darkens as tiny drops of clear water dampen my surroundings. Cars drive by, as usual, except now leaving a trail of precipitation. I raise my head to the sky and absorb all that drops upon me. The rain falls so gracefully onto my face. For the first time in a while, I feel happy.

Rain increases from a peaceful sprinkle to a torrential down pour. As it soaks every inch of my body, I am positive there is nowhere I would rather be than right here, sitting on my front porch, staring at the speeding cars, contemplating an unidentified insect sitting next to me, and absorbing the rain's extreme power.

Why do I love the rain? To be completely honest, I really don't know. It could be because I was born on a rainy day, but I'm pretty sure that's not it, because according to my mom, there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. It's also not because I love water even though that would be a logical explanation. I hated swimming as a matter of fact. I was always afraid a whale would jump out of the deep end. Yes, a little too much Free Willy for me as a kid. I didn't even like swimming in the ocean, not because I was afraid of whales though. It makes much more sense to be afraid of whales in a swimming pool than in their natural habitat. I was afraid of the ocean because I thought I would be consumed by the waves. Strange how I love to be surrounded by tiny morsels of perfection, but I can't stand the thought of being thrown into the water of no return and, let me not forget to mention, whales.

The rain increases again. My paper absorbs the moisture as the ink smears. I think the true reason why I love the rain is because, in it, I feel complete. I feel like I have a purpose in this chaotic world.

Rain, in my opinion, is not merely rain. Each drop stands for something worthwhile. Motivation, peace, hope, you name it. In it, I feel I could do anything. In it, I feel the world resolving all conflicts even for a split second. In it, I feel nothing bad could ever happen. In it, I feel like me.

The dribbling ceases to exist as puddles begin to evaporate. A rainbow encircles the world once filled with drowsiness. Life, as I know it, resumes.