Are Religious Festivals Just an Excuse for a Party? | Teen Ink

Are Religious Festivals Just an Excuse for a Party?

By 4teenliars BRONZE, Greater Manchester, Other
4teenliars BRONZE, Greater Manchester, Other

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

“religious festivals are not a serious demonstration of faith; it’s just an excuse for a party.”
Some people who follow a religion feel that people do not celebrate the religious festivals for the reasons of faith but it is an excuse for a party.

There are some religious festivals that have parties because it is a happy occasion such as Christmas and Wesak.
Wesak is a Buddhist festival celebrated on the full moon in May. It celebrates the Buddha's birthday. Furthermore, this festival is a happy festival because it is celebrating the Buddha’s birthday. On someone’s birthday, people have parties to share the happy occasion. Moreover, this religious festival is not an excuse for a party because it is a party festival.

Christmas is a Christian festival celebrated on 25th of December. It celebrated the birth of Jesus Christ. Christians have advent which is the countdown to Christmas on Sundays. Then on Christmas eve there is Christingle which is where they sing carols and say prayers. Furthermore, they have an orange which presents the world.

Moreover, Christians will go to church on Christmas day. But many people who call themselves “Christians” or “Religious”, do some of these things or none. But these are the same people who have parties for Christmas. People who are not even Christians have Christmas parties. So is Christmas just an excuse for a party. For many people, yes which would be the “religious” or “Christians”.

Not all religious festivals are a happy occasion such as Nirvana Day, Eid-ul-Adha and Easter.

Nirvana Day is a yearly Buddhist festival that remembers the death of the Buddha when he reached Nirvana at the age of 80. It is also known as Parinirvana Day. Furthermore, this festival is depressing festivals because it isfestival about death. Nobody likes to celebrate death because it is a topic that is very sensitive. Buddhist celebrate this by meditating or going to the Buddhist temple. It is a reflective day as the Buddhist uses this day think about their lives and how they can reach perfect peace of Nirvana. They also use this day to remember friends and family who have died. In conclusion, Nirvana Day is not a festival that people would have parties for obvious reasons. Why would you have a party for someone’s death?

Eid-ul-Adha is a Muslim festival. The festival remembers the prophet Ibrahim's preparedness to sacrifice his son when God ordered him to. This festival is a public festival is Muslim countries. Muslims who can afford it. sacrifice a sheep or goat as a reminder of Ibrahim's obedience to Allah. In Britain, the animal must be killed at a slaughterhouse. The share the meat of the animal. On this day, they will get dressed in their best clothes and go to the mosque to say prayers and thank Allah for all the blessings they have received. Furthermore, this festival you could see it has a happy festival because it is a sacrifice, or a sad festival because it is about when Ibrahim’s sacrifice his son because God told him to. Moreover, maybe some Muslims might have a party for his bravery and for sharing the meat. Or some Muslims might use this day as a reflection on the blessing they have received and their life.

I do not want any to take any offense to this as my intention are not to offend anyone but just to make people think about religious festivals