Insecurities | Teen Ink

Insecurities

June 6, 2016
By Jayzelle BRONZE, San Diego, California
Jayzelle BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine this: you just transferred into a new school. You were excited and nervous, but mostly excited to make lots of friends. As you walked through the crowded halls, you started to notice that everybody was now looking at you as if you were a piece of meat. You then started to feel self-conscience as people scan their eyes from head-to-toe. You began to question your existence. I should’ve dressed more casually. What’s wrong with my body? I want to go home. Have you ever had that experience before? Did you ever stop in front of a mirror and started to point out the things that you hated on your body? Ever feel worthless, humiliation, frightened, gormless, or not-so-confident? Felt as if someone you truly trusted the most would one day see your true self and leave? That, my friend, is being insecure. Insecurity is when you have low self esteem and have absolutely no confidence in yourself. Your heart beats faster than normal and your mind keeps racing, gathering up thoughts that isn’t pleasing. (Google 2016) You shrink and never looked at the positive side. In my opinion, insecurities is a common thing to have. Everybody goes through this phase. Like celebrities for that matter. It can be good at some times, but having it everyday can make you can make you fall deeper and deeper into the bottomless pit of despair. That’s when depression and harassment crawls in from behind, slowly changing your point of view to an extremely much more scarier one. So, don’t let insecurity ruin your life. Live up a little and spare the haters. Why would you feel guilty for being happy and to be beautiful in your own way?

How do you even get insecurities? To answer your question, it comes around during puberty. Wait, scratch that. Insecurity comes around during your childhood. And why would I know that? Well, back when I was a little child, I grew insecure of my whole existence. What I felt caused my sleeves to pulled up more, talk a little quieter, and having unpleasant thoughts overfilling my mind. Same thing goes for people around the world. About 80% of women feels insecure than 33% of men do. People getting insecurities is like a common cycle. First step would be focusing on little things that you’ve never noticed before. Then, you would feel self-conscience and start to care too much of what others thinks of you. It’s like taking a selfie. You take a picture, look at it, seeing the little things about it, then deletes it. Insecurity could eat you alive and kills all that is beautiful. You shouldn’t think lowly of yourself and to wish to be someone else. They’re not you.

Insecurities affect your life in many ways. Shyness, paranoia, and social withdrawals can mostly lead to bullying, aggression, and arrogance. Like I said before, insecurity doesn’t have to start during puberty. People are what they called ‘insecure child’. What that means is that part of your personality is trapped inside your childhood by a traumatic event. This causes emotional upset. Insecurities are also affecting relationships now and before. People would compare their current relationships to their past ones. They would constantly be worried of what their partner thinks of them and may think that their partner would cheat on them. And why do they act this way? That’s because they feel like they’re not good enough for their partners. 

I know, insecurity sucks. For some people who knows about your insecurity would just say to you, “Hey, it’s okay.” or “It’s just a phase, you’ll get over it.” What if it wasn’t just a phase? Some adults and elders still has insecurities. What would the people around you do then? You don't have to go through this anymore. Change your mindset into a positive one and stop comparing yourself to others. Raise up your self-esteem and be confident again. Have communication and respect in your relationship. Stop dragging your past around with you, there’s a reason why it is called a past, you know?  Stop thinking that it’s all about you and start being independent again. Don’t psych yourself out!  I know this will take some time, but it’ll be all worth it in the end.

In conclusion, insecurity kills all that is beautiful, even though they are to believed that they’re not. It could ruin your life and your love life. Everyone deserves to be happy in their own skin. Never called insecurity a “phase”. Love yourself and the people who has stuck by you. And again, why would you feel guilty for being happy and to be beautiful in your own way?